Chuhin Trident Maple Project - Defoliation and Re-wiring

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Zack. I doubt I will defoliate it again, so fall will be the next time it'l be naked this year. The number of branches has at least doubled though, and it should look great without foliage.

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Brian,

This is very interesting, I purchased one of the "sister" tree's from Ian myself. The same movement, the same root's, stripes on the bark and all the foliage on the 1/3rd top of the tree. I chose the path of thread grafting and planting in a wooden box that I built. I planted it in the box because in the winter when I checked the roots I noticed they where all coming from three spots on those large root's. They had obviously been cut back hard and where trained very well for there trunk. I wanted to work on the roots and the branching. I drilled the branches to exit the curves in the trunk.

If it's okay with you I will post a couple of pictures. I do not wish to hijack your post. I respect what you have done with the internet and we share the same club and teacher. hahaa but these teachers give us a few decisions if not several and watch what we do and work with us after these decisions.

My tree has just gone crazy. I'm using the same soil combo as you and what Walter suggests. I use the time release fertilizer that Jim recommends and I fertilize my tree's every ten days with a liquid fertilizer with Smoke's(Al's) ingredient. I water them once to twice a day and flood them. I should say that all of my leave droppers and evergreen's are doing very well with this. I do not have the tree's at this point that need to be watched how they are fertilized and watered. I would like to think I do, but I've just not acquired that stage of a tree at this point.

Thanks for the post of this tree. I enjoyed a site that is no longer around because it showed alot of projects like this. But I'm afraid that we have become gun shy in posting our work once we hit a certain level. People that are new and trying to learn everything that they can will be grateful. People that have been around a while with knowledge will always speak out against what they don't agree with before they will acknowledge the projects they understand because they had to work so hard to attain this knowledge.

I told my self I wouldn't reply to any of these post after a couple of glasses of wine!!! Just like I told myself I wouldn't buy another tree from Lone pine for at least 3 months...

JW

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi JW. Glad to hear others are buying from Lone Pine. I would love to see pictures of your tree! You can post here if you like, or if you have lots of photos (and a good story I'm sure) maybe a whole new thread would be even better.
I agree, most people are shy, or think they don't have anything good enough to post, but I say go for it. There is a lot to be learned, and we can't start if no one posts.

Thanks for the response, -=Brian=-

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Well, the trident is coming along nicely, and quite fast. I cut it back a little from it's last photo shoot and removed all the wire as it was starting to cut in. Here she is, enjoy! -=Brian=-

Attachments

• DSCF1195.JPG
    DSCF1195.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 156

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coming along nicely Brian. It should be beautiful in it's fall colors with that pot. Please post a picture in all it's fall glory.
Mary B.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good! Any thoughts on approach grafting some roots into the open space in the base? I like the overall effect of the root spread because it compliments the trunk movement and it will continue to improve with time, but filling the hole will add to the appearance of age and stability.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks! I was actually thinking about that this morning. I have a number of trees that could benefit from some new roots, better bases, and nebari. I think your right, the easiest/fastest way would be thread or approach grafting. At one point I was even contemplating ground-layering, but I'm not sure it would be appropriate for this tree. Should be a fun-filled year of work next spring!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
To layer or not to layer

Here is the trident all naked and exposed... Graceful isn't she? I have been toying with the idea of an air layer and I have decided to do it this year. The Nebari, while unique, is kinda funky and not my favorite look. So, my choices are a mediocre unique tree, or a fantastic traditional tree. I choose fantastic! It will be layered at the widest part of the trunk, then separated and grown on a tile for a couple years. This should create a much fatter base, heal the wounds on the trunk, and have some spectacular nebari. Thoughts?

Attachments

• trident 2-20-11.JPG
    trident 2-20-11.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 110
  • trident layer.JPG
    trident layer.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 101

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
LAYER!!! It's a graceful tree with an unfortunate base that you can correct in about 1 year!

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Personally, I like the first one. Exposed roots add much more interest to a tree. Thats my taste.

Attachments

• fall 2009.jpg
    fall 2009.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
There's a significant difference in the two sets of exposed roots on these trees. Brian would be "lucky" in 10 years to see his trident roots develop like the elm in your image. Layered, he'll have a very even base in 2....

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats true. I wasn't trying to imply that he could get this in 10 years - maybe 30 years. My only point was to offer an example of what exposed roots can look like over many years, which I'm sure he was already familiar. I do like exposed roots in his first photo thought. The only esthetic advantage that layering would do in my opinion would be to shorten the trunk.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! You hit both points; shortened trunk, and even roots. We'll see how it goes in a couple years! Right now I'm just waiting for the leaves to harden off, then it will be layered via the Jim Gremel method, and hopefully I'll remember to take photos to share the process.

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just in case you miss posting pictures before the prime time for layering, do you mind sharing the "Jim Gremel method" in some general words? I have a Trident I am planning on layering this coming season and based on the quality of the rest of his work, would love to hear how Jim's method is different than the usual.

Sorry to be greedy for information,
-Tim

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
No problem. The only thing different with "his" method (I'm sure he learned it from Mas Imazumi or someone...) is that when the cambium is exposed he jams a thick aluminum wire in the bottom half of the cut, forcing the roots outward instead of down. This is pretty simple, and I'm sure other people do it this way as well. If anyone has pictures feel free to post them here. It will be around April that I will actually get around to layering. Good luck!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Alright alright, I'll divulge the results of my experiment. So, after cutting the strip of bark off, treating with hormone, and packing with sphagnum and akadama, I left the layer to sit for an entire season. Once I removed the cut down nursery pot, I realized that only half of the layer grew roots. I re-cut the other half and re-packed with sphagnum and akadama, but this time in a "rootmaker" pot. I have left it completely alone aside from cutting shoots that are making top branches too thick. We'll see if it is 100% ready to be separated this coming spring...

Attachments

• DSCF1906.JPG
    DSCF1906.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1905.jpg
    DSCF1905.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1904.jpg
    DSCF1904.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1903.jpg
    DSCF1903.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1908.jpg
    DSCF1908.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 80

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good luck with the re-layering! Your tree is coming along very nicely! I agree with the air layering decision on this tree.

Top Bottom