Ci’s 2020-2025 Azalea entry ***DROPPED OUT***

Status
Not open for further replies.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m in the contest with this azalea growing in my yard right where we are going to expand our deck in the Spring, so I will be digging it up. Unknown variety with pink flowers. Photo taken today - Jan. 1, 2020.
Looks like some deadwood/scarring on the lower trunk. I’m not seeing the possibilities yet, but who knows? Just need to figure out the best time to dig and chop in my area.276921276922

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Leo, what about that black deadwood?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, the one trunk with the black deadwood is rotting out. If you dig it up, you'll have to clean the soft deadwood out.

Looks like old damage, the trunk may have healed enough that it might be long term stable. It will be a "design opportunity".

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, the one trunk with the black deadwood is rotting out. If you dig it up, you'll have to clean the soft deadwood out.

Looks like old damage, the trunk may have healed enough that it might be long term stable. It will be a "design opportunity".
That’s what I thought, too. I have not dug it up yet - reconstruction of the deck that was going to displace the azaela got sidetracked and I’ve been busy putting in a larger pond for my koi. I’ll admit that all my bonsai chores are late - I’ll have a lot of catching up to do later in the summer!

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve changed my remodelling plans and decided not to dig up that azalea after all. I the meantime my Aunt in-law passed away and when I went to help clean up her house I found this azalea in her overgrown garden. It’s probably been in this pot for a long time and been broken off or pruned by deer. This will be my entry for the contest.IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg
IMG_1072.jpeg

I potted it up and a few weeks later had a bit of die back on the top. I have no idea if it is deciduous or evergreen.

IMG_1183.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve changed my remodelling plans and decided not to dig up that azalea after all. I the meantime my Aunt in-law passed away and when I went to help clean up her house I found this azalea in her overgrown garden. It’s probably been in this pot for a long time and been broken off or pruned by deer. This will be my entry for the contest.View attachment 330970

View attachment 330972
View attachment 330973

I potted it up and a few weeks later had a bit of die back on the top. I have no idea if it is deciduous or evergreen.

View attachment 330974

YES! (About the specimen ITSELF.. not the surrounding circumstances)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Somebody has a leg up on us. "To whom much is given, much will be required..."

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In your last picture, the azalea really looks in trouble/not happy. Maybe in a 'the roots are struggling' kind of way.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree that last picture posted it looks pretty rough. How is it doing now?

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A bunch of leaves drooped a couple weeks after the summer re-pot. I’ve since picked them off and the rest have done fine so far, but no new growth. The nights are getting colder here (PacNW) - high 40’s. I think this azalea will go into my unheated green house for winter protection.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom