cicada

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
As a child growing up "back east", the summer of this noisey insect was kind of a wondeful, mysterious event. 17 years in the ground and then out.
I did some research on what I might do to note this event in my tokonoma. But opted to
pass since no one here in my "neck of the woods" could relate.
i was able to find a nice tenpai of the insect. I have a decent acer palmatum to use as the bonsai.
I found this haiku and could easily have had a shikishi board made for the occassion.

"after the dancing,
The wind in the pine trees,
the voices of insects"...Sogetsu-Ni

I like to take every opportunity to study an event and be able to put together something appropriate.

For those who have folowed my quest to learn and use my tokonoma properly, I recently added the ability to change out the maroon colored floor of my toko to a very bright blue.
Thinking it would work marvelously with a local pine called shorepine found along the ocean beaches. I have collected some old japanese floats (glass) that i could use. just need to come up with an appropriate scroll scene. Things like sea otters or sea gulls are too repetitious and i have to work on that one. thoughts?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cicadas are common in Japanese art and are associated with summer (obviously :D). This block print is by Koson- Check around, you can probably find similar stuff on scrolls and other artwork for not a lot.

Attachments

• cicada.png
    cicada.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 35

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like that you can have the blue as well, I personally like it better. I can't really help you with display ideas because I am still in th beginning stages if learning. I enjoy following these posts you put out because it helps me start thinking of ideas for years down the road.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
appreciate both of your posts. Nice scroll and it's encouraging to know that things I might post can be helpful to others as we both travel down the narrow path of learning :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cicada isn't a scroll but a woodblock print--which is another "side interest" that swallowed me up as I've done bonsai. You can get a print like this one from a number of places online. Since it's Koson (a popular artist in Shin Hanga prints) it's not all that cheap --probably $500 or so. Prints like these can be framed in a western style and wouldn't be out place in a tokoname.

Top Bottom