Cicadas are on the way

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the East Coast is expecting a heavy cicada infestation this spring. When it emerges depends on your clime. They play havoc here splitting the twigs in my heavily forested property whilst laying their eggs. I know that in the scheme of things they have some positive effects for mom nature overall, but of course to bonsai nuts they are of concern. Just curious to hear how different people prepare for them or if they care for them at all. I have a plan to implement when they arrive but I would be curious to hear what others think as I may somewhat modify my own plan. :rolleyes:

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread, I have been thinking the same. More of my landscape trees, I don’t know why I didn’t think of my bonsai. I have been talking with local nurseries but can’t seem to get a straight answer. Can’t wait to see how this thread turns out.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought some 3/5 inch bird netting that I plan to throw over my trees. I was planning on planting some seedlings in the ground this spring, but will probably delay that until next year.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought some 3/5 inch bird netting that I plan to throw over my trees. I was planning on planting some seedlings in the ground this spring, but will probably delay that until next year.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan.
It is most unlikely the cicadas will bother the seedlings. In fact, they may bother very little on the ground. In the past I have seen most damage 4 feet from the ground and upwards.

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/cicada-damage-to-trees.htm I would think insecticide kills the eggs and larva once the drop off the trees. I treat my trees so not to worried long term. The last time we had allot I remember allot of damage to my yard crepe myrtles but the trees all recovered. On my bonsai the damage might actually be good for making some of the larger trees look older once it heals. I doubt my bonsai suffer like my yard trees and I don't remember branch die off on them just allot of visible damage. Cicada tend to be higher up than I keep most of my bonsai. The branch size the bugs like is also interesting due to bonsai techniques. Curious if the last big hatch if people just didn't do much preventive efforts and were just fine.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can protect bonsai but it's unlikely that they are preferred places to lay eggs. They're too low. Landscape trees will be used but should be fine, some eggs under bark might be a bit unsightly for some time but a healthy tree will easily heal. This just adds character.

Spraying insecticide to kill the eggs is pretty useless as the number of eggs is huge and 99.9% won't survive anyway. The survival of the once you didn't got will just improve. A tree can deal with a few cicadas on its roots, why the reflex to kill everything?
Just sit back and enjoy this amazing phenomenon.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i bet those things could catch a mean large mouth bass. we dont get them in MA. id be willing to be people use them as fishing bait and the fish get down on them naturally too

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Most of the East Coast is expecting a heavy cicada infestation this spring. When it emerges depends on your clime. They play havoc here splitting the twigs in my heavily forested property whilst laying their eggs. I know that in the scheme of things they have some positive effects for mom nature overall, but of course to bonsai nuts they are of concern. Just curious to hear how different people prepare for them or if they care for them at all. I have a plan to implement when they arrive but I would be curious to hear what others think as I may somewhat modify my own plan. :rolleyes:
I was just talking to my son about them last night. He's a birder and pretty happy they are coming as they will attract birds to eat them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cicada tend to be higher up than I keep most of my bonsai.
Watch the ones on you benches. My largest and tallest bench in 4 feet, placing my bonsai in the 5 to 6 foot range that cicadas seem to like. Of course they will go much higher as well.
Just sit back and enjoy this amazing phenomenon.
Interesting take.... and I get it.
Lots of people won't.
i bet those things could catch a mean large mouth bass
Had that experience about 50 years ago. The bass actually leaped out of the water to catch my hooked cicada.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These cycles play a very important role in nature. This year the East coast will have an abundance of additional food for all sorts of animals that eat them. In turn those animals that eat them should have a better year in terms of survival, reproduction....etc

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These cycles play a very important role in nature. This year the East coast will have an abundance of additional food for all sorts of animals that eat them. In turn those animals that eat them should have a better year in terms of survival, reproduction....etc
They do a fantastic job of aerating the soil.
Maybe the thread title should have been, Cicadas, love em or hate em.
or Got Cicadas? 🤣

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
heck yah, fire up the grill
download.jpgmeat-maniac-cicadas.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If I eat them I could get a better survivability and reproductive rate this year............
wouldnt doubt it, i bet theyre efficient protein, maybe an afrodisiac...

from someone who eats tins of anchovies, giblets by the half pint or the weird guy at thanksgiving (whoa), turkey necks, liverwurst, head cheese, pork fat is life (ham hocks, pickled), mortadella, the cheaper the better hot dogs, pickled eggs, octopus stew, raw clams..., sardine ramen, etc. i wouldnt eat those unless i had to. could be missing out though. i have reservations at brazilian grill tonite and hope they have the butter basted chicken hearts.

looking at those images i posted makes me even more thankful for the food choices i get to experience in life...no insects for me

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My dog loves to eat them. I'm curious but not enough to actually prepare one to eat myself. Insect based food is the future though.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
My dog loves to eat them. I'm curious but not enough to actually prepare one to eat myself. Insect based food is the future though.
A lot of insects taste similar like slightly nutty scrambled egg in a crunchy shell, some ants taste a little like sherbet. The future is now lol

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2024 cicadas are on the way to the Midwest and SE USA. I remember when they were heavy in the Carolinas in 2011 and people would freak out just pumping their gas or going from car to store like they were going to be taken away.

Any special considerations to protect bonsai? I know the females will cut branches to lay their eggs. Are these typically large branches only or would smaller i.e., bonsai sized branches be affected, too?

Top Bottom