Cicadas damaged branches

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just checked my plants and noticed on quite several bonsai that I have got some damaged branches caused by cicadas this past summer.
Some of the branches if I cut them off, the overall shape of the bonsai would be significantly impacted. Can I keep those branches? Will the wound become source of disease/infection?
Or since the branches with cicada damage look very bad already, it's better to cut it off by all means and start to reshape the plant ?
Thanks for suggestions!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just took two photos.please see attached.
1st one is a 3yr Chimonanthus Praecox (winter sweet), If I have to cut, I'll need to cut the whole branch (which is 1st branch), and the other branch next to it pretty much the same. So if I have to cut both, I will end up with just having a small stick left lol
2nd one is a mature trident maple bonsai, the damages are on several of the top braches, it will impact the shape of the apex, but not as significant as 1st one

Attachments

• 20211223_154402.jpg
    20211223_154402.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211223_154256.jpg
    20211223_154256.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By the way, even with damages as bad as shown in 1st photo, it has a lot of flower buds on branches above those damages.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yeah that first one looks kinda bad. Not sure of your final design plan but it might heal over it to add some character? Unless they laid eggs in there?
2nd one doesn't looks as bad and I might leave it as a design feature or until another branch can replace it.
Hopefully experts here can chime in and provide more direct guidance.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've some scared from our last brood. 2018?ish and they've not even attempted to heal. I dug them out with a knife to get rid if the eggs immediately.
I ended cutting most of the damaged branches off but one or two were on the main trunk and remain. I've considered cutting it out and seal w/cut paste to promote healing but have not. Fortunately they were mostly starter material.

I've not seen any infections or disease but I did dig out the wounds that same year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've some scared from our last brood. 2018?ish and they've not even attempted to heal. I dug them out with a knife to get rid if the eggs immediately.
I ended cutting most of the damaged branches off but one or two were on the main trunk and remain. I've considered cutting it out and seal w/cut paste to promote healing but have not. Fortunately they were mostly starter material.

I've not seen any infections or disease but I did dig out the wounds that same year.
thanks,looks like cut off or not,either way would be fine.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Digging out likely did more damage than leaving alone. Failed grafts also leave scars, usually accepted. Sometimes embraced to make tree more interesting. Instead of making worse by digging apply bugicide to spots🤨. Do not overthink things. In future try Off or Bug Off to deter unwanted visits😁.

Last edited:

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just leave it, it will heal. You can cover it with a paste to prevent rot and infections.

Top Bottom