Cicadas!

tatorger

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every one of my trees has cicada damage! :mad: i thought i had them well protected, i had them in a 1/8'' mesh enclosure. One of my 10 year old seed grown JM's has about 30-40 spots where the females layed eggs. this is just a warning from NY watch your trees!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the heads up. I remember 17 years ago when they came but dont recall them injuring my trees.
I am surprised that 1/8" mesh didnt stop them. :confused: That makes me a bit nervous. Except that for some reason brood 2 seems to have stayed in the ground around here. I dont know if they will be delayed due to the possible lack of warmth, or if they just wont come out. I hope it's the latter.

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
None here in Brooklyn NY I heard the broods are localized to pockets. I heard Long Island has a lot.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We usually have the ground variety in large numbers by now yearly. We have none at the moment but I suspect it is because of the rather wet weather here for many days. Last night was the first night of the lightening bug "show" which was pretty impressive. :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They poke decent sized holes in branches to lay their eggs. Then the eggs hatch and the larvae fall into your soil and start sucking sap from roots.

tatorger

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thats exactly what it looks like, on some of the faster growing trees or the ones that have rough bark its no big deal but my JMs and azaleas will be permanently scarred

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
None here in Brooklyn NY I heard the broods are localized to pockets. I heard Long Island has a lot.

I am pretty far out on the island, havent heard the 17 year cicada chirping in my yard yet.
Maybe we dont have any near me (I hope).
We usually hear the dog day cicadas when they come out in July/August.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here is the important part of that article -

"Pyrethroids are performing very well in killing and repelling adult cicadas and reducing oviposition injury. Good activity from Calypso has also been reported. Applications should be maintained on a 7-10 day interval, especially in high pressure situations, throughout the oviposition period."

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Maybe that's why I haven't seen one in my yard I sprayed all my trees in early June to protect from japanese beetles with Bifen XTS at full strength. Bifenefrin is one of the most powerful Pyrethroids.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We normally have a LOT of Ground Cicada here but not this year - This is the only one I have seen all season -

Top Bottom