Circis Canadensis “Redbud” tree attempt

Jhilliard6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, I have recently acquired a beautiful large redbud tree from a nursery here in town and I thought I’d share it’s progress.
They seem to be a fairly unused species for bonsai, with little information on how to care for them... however, I couldn’t resist.
It has thus far been potted into a large redwood box and structurally pruned to get it to a rough form that I like.

I’ll be posting updates as the months progress..

Here’s some pics of the repot. It began in a 24” nursery box. E2A097D4-5CBA-4A04-AC11-0CB857909E8E.jpeg
1163C680-D30D-402D-85D6-5753F483303B.jpeg
93B8881E-C27B-4F27-98E0-473AB543D1D2.jpeg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Hope it survives. Nice base. However the branches are quite leggy and straight. When it gets established I'd cut like this...
1163C680-D30D-402D-85D6-5753F483303B.jpeg

Jhilliard6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you thank you...

I decided I will keep you superstructure mainly as it is, aside from training the obviously long branches to bud back down lower for the finer branch structure to form.

It is beginning to show new buds swelling now and looks to be in good health, though it is not backbudding very far down, as of yet. Too soon to tell.

The root system was absolutely fantastic. Plenty of feeder roots to go around and minimal damage was done in the process.
You should have seen the tree before I pruned it to its current shape, I believe it will not have any trouble supporting the remaining foliage.

Jordan.

TrunkTickler

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When would you do those drastic 'trunk chops' I have a tall young tree I would like to cut down to a foot or so?

Jhilliard6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When would you do those drastic 'trunk chops' I have a tall young tree I would like to cut down to a foot or so?

I would say that performing heavy work like trunk chopping and such gives good results when the tree is heavily growing, so that the wounds heal over quickly.
When doing a trunk chop it is always best to leave atleast one branch to help support the tree and with redbud I believe it may be necessary due to dieback. Though I’m kind of testing this theory a bit myself.

I just performed heavy pruning/trunk chops and repottings on about a dozen trees, including this redbud here, and all but the redbud were in a very neglected state and we’re to be composted.. most a root bound mess. (3 varieties of Oak and a few peach trees).
However, all but one peach, which had borers, have now pushed out vigorous new buds and are well on there way to being healthy trees.

I live in a dry desert climate and don’t have anything of a winter like you might in Ontario, so I’m sure this changes things a bit, but I believe the rule of thumb to do work when there is vigorous growth is a good one.. atleast in my experience.

- Jordan

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi all, I have recently acquired a beautiful large redbud tree from a nursery here in town and I thought I’d share it’s progress.
They seem to be a fairly unused species for bonsai, with little information on how to care for them... however, I couldn’t resist.
It has thus far been potted into a large redwood box and structurally pruned to get it to a rough form that I like.

I’ll be posting updates as the months progress..

Here’s some pics of the repot. It began in a 24” nursery box. View attachment 242222
View attachment 242223
View attachment 242224
Can you give an update on this redbud? I'm Newer to bonsai, but I understand why many don't give redbud a go. I however think this tree is beautiful and can't shake the thought of it. I was recently looking for Ace of Hearts (dwarf version) and couldn't find any locally, but yesterday stumbled upon what was labeled as an Eastern redbud, but very small. It was only $20 bucks so I grabbed it up.

How did yours turn out? Did you immediately cut the taproot or give it a while to grow and thicken more? What time of year do you think is best to cut the taproot, and or repot?

Thanks! Hope to hear it's doing well!

Top Bottom