Citrus are weird

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Several months ago a friend give me some cuttings of Citric caviar Microcitrus australasica, so I planted them in my usual method using plastic bottles as mini-greenhouses, before using them I had very bad luck with cuttings. They have been near a window in a warm place, pretty sure they have some root at this point, recently they started sweling buds what I thought was new growth but no they were florwer buds 😅 I hope they start growing new shoots also
20220908_160805_HDR~2.jpg20220908_160827_HDR.jpg
Citron-caviar-Faustrime-DR-1.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Flowers are a bad sign. The tree should be prioritizing root growth if it's going to survive. But cuttings often give one final heave of desperation to pass on their genes by expending their last bit of energy on a flower.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Usually remove flowers on cuttings so that the cutting will concentrate efforts on rooting.
I've just potted up around 20 of these. Strike rate is high and they appear to grow quite well un grafted.
Prickly buggers though!

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I air layered a lemon tree with the same result. It flowered profusely before pushing leaves. It's doing great 6 months since I cut from the mother tree.

Top Bottom