Cjr Bald Cypress 2022

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is a fantastic trunk! It’s got the movement, the taper and the root flair going on.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fantastic!
Question: why collect going into dormancy as apposed to out of dormancy?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Fantastic!
Question: why collect going into dormancy as apposed to out of dormancy?
It is a matter of when I have time to collect. I have a few hours to spare so I dug up one tree. All the leaves have fallen and the tree is already in dormancy. I am pretty sure that it will be OK.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Question about BC dormancy. What is the required dormancy period for BC?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Question about BC dormancy. What is the required dormancy period for BC?
You guys are far more scientific minded than I am. For me, I now BCs grow from zone 6 to zone 11. They are capable of varying their dormancy period as needed. So for this tree, I know the tree is in dormancy so I dug it up and potted it. For other trees I might worry about having pruned roots in the ground too long before waking up. However, I have less concern with BCs because I think they can withstand longer than other species. For now, the tree will be kept and it will wake up whenever it is ready. I am not counting the days in dormancy.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You guys are far more scientific minded than I am. For me, I now BCs grow from zone 6 to zone 11. They are capable of varying their dormancy period as needed. So for this tree, I know the tree is in dormancy so I dug it up and potted it. For other trees I might worry about having pruned roots in the ground too long before waking up. However, I have less concern with BCs because I think they can withstand longer than other species. For now, the tree will be kept and it will wake up whenever it is ready. I am not counting the days in dormancy.
Thank you. I was just curious, I’ve been wanting to experiment with one of my tiny ones and see what I can do with one inside under my led lights. Here in NC they just finished going dormant. I was thinking giving it a month or dormancy then seeing how it responds indoors.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Collected early in dormancy i.e. right after leaf drop, this one took 12 weeks to bud compared to the normal 4-6 weeks.
98A1E568-D8E3-4C7A-B544-03385AA644A9.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Finally gets going
8D264DF5-4740-440D-87D9-3557678C4498.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
While I was away on vacation, I stared at a picture of this tree for a long time. Changes are forthcoming for this tree. It will be a lot shorter than it is right now.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
While I was away on vacation, I stared at a picture of this tree for a long time. Changes are forthcoming for this tree. It will be a lot shorter than it is right now.
Well BNutters.
Like I mentioned almost a month ago, I am contemplating moving this tree into a mica pot and chop it to 7" trunk height, turning it into a sumo BC. In the long term it will be carved to look like a hurricane broken tree. Usually BC are broken by hurricane at near mid-length, few are broken at this low a level. Usually when this happen it is drastic. The trunk is not only broken but are torn and some part of the trunk is rotten away.

Another thought is to carve it into a twin trunk BC, essentially splitting the tree.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In progress. Not quite there yet.
Once the tree has recovered I will repot it into a mica pot and reveal that big base as shown in the collection pictures.
Before
IMG_8110.jpeg

Ongoing
IMG_8114.jpeg
IMG_8115.jpeg
IMG_8116.jpeg
IMG_8117.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Still have a lot more carving to do to separate the two trunks all the way to the soil line.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
how long do you expect this wound to take to heal? any special aftercare for it?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
how long do you expect this wound to take to heal? any special aftercare for it?
The trunk will never heal. Some of it will rot away until the tree reaches some sort of stasis with slow decay being matched with growth of new material.

Top Bottom