Cjr conifer plan

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
After much studying and questioning people on-line and real life, I've settled on my plan for conifers that I thing will help me get going fairly quickly and give me more things to play with and learn. Thanks all BNutters for your help.
  • I will focus on just JBP, Shimpaku Juniper, and Bald cypress. These will grow in my current and future grow zones. I will refrain from expanding until I'm comfortable with these first. Unless a fantastic specimen just happens to fall in my lap of course.
  • I got 3 BCs in pot and 1 in ground. I will chop the trunk of the 2 BCs in pot while leaving the remaining one in pot and the one in the ground alone for a year or two. I'm also planning to buy 20-30 seedlings to put in ground as yard trees in the spring.
  • I will buy several young JBPs and Junipers from a nursery and put some in the ground and other in grow boxes. Once I've learned to keep them thriving I will buy older pre-bonsai ones to get into styling etc. and learn the next stage of bonsai.
If you wonder why I keep mentioning about "keeping them thriving". My house is on the bank of a tidal lake with wicked hot and salty wind in the summer. I've struggled with keeping yard trees alive. Even with trees that I've planted many times in the past I still have issue with keeping them thriving. Until I get the wind breaker line of yard trees established, it will not be easy.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Placed my order for 3 Shimpaku and 2 JBP. They should be here next weekend. I better get the containers for them ready this weekend. I'm right at the hot limit of their growing zones. Here to hope of keeping them alive and well. The way I see it, if I can't keep the seedlings healthy, forget about doing bonsai with the species. If these die, I'm only out less than $100. Baby steps for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom