Cjr Contorted Camellia from Mellow Mullet

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My Camellias are setting buds, pretty exciting. Looks like yours is as well!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a huge camellia that I want to turn into a bonsai, is this a good time to do major prunning/ repotting ?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine both died....😥.
Hopefully you can do better than I did!
Curious as to why. What did you do with them in the winter? I got my first one in January last year, in bloom. I kept it inside under the lights until it was safe to go outside. They are not hardy here, the Botanical Garden in St. Louis keeps theirs in a greenhouse.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a huge camellia that I want to turn into a bonsai, is this a good time to do major prunning/ repotti
I have a huge camellia that I want to turn into a bonsai, is this a good time to do major prunning/ repotting ?
You are in the DC area, now is not a good time. Wait until after the flowers. I moved mine to a growing flat with minimal root disturbance plus I am in a much warmer zone.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Be careful when digging up camelias from the ground. They hate heavy rootwork, and if done carelessly it can kill them. I wouldn't dig one up until Spring, but what you could do now is trench around it to cut some of it's reaching radial roots and encourage it to grow new feeder roots closer in toward its trunk. If it has lots of feeder roots close in to the trunk that come with it when you cut the tap roots and pull it out, you'll greatly increase its survival chances. And of course, keep it mostly in shade while it recovers from the operation.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Be careful when digging up camelias from the ground. They hate heavy rootwork, and if done carelessly it can kill them. I wouldn't dig one up until Spring, but what you could do now is trench around it to cut some of it's reaching radial roots and encourage it to grow new feeder roots closer in toward its trunk. If it has lots of feeder roots close in to the trunk that come with it when you cut the tap roots and pull it out, you'll greatly increase its survival chances. And of course, keep it mostly in shade while it recovers from the operation.
Thanks... but mine is in a pot, I bought it as a pre bonsai tree but it found it to be too tall and big so I just been keeping it as a tree in a pot outside.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Curious as to why. What did you do with them in the winter? I got my first one in January last year, in bloom. I kept it inside under the lights until it was safe to go outside. They are not hardy here, the Botanical Garden in St. Louis keeps theirs in a greenhouse.
I think they got too dry over last winter....I lost a few in the smaller containers last winter...my own dumb fault.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The tree grew well but there was a 5 branch whorl that was forming a reverse taper. I pruned away 3. Will try to propagate them.
8EDBB2DF-A9FA-413A-8BC2-FDC1E55DF377.jpeg

Top Bottom