Cjr Crataegus aestivalis clump

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Natural clump collected from the grove so all the placement was natural. Roots were cut flat and tops were pruned. I am super excited about this clump.
Collected June 09, 2022 in 96 deg F weather.
02AF4900-997C-442A-A58D-2053154DADDC.jpeg
CDC6E2CF-89D7-43D3-80F7-619623303051.jpeg

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice clump I hate you southern guys you just go out back the roots way back chop the top off stick it in a pot give it that crazy southern sun and away it goes 😂😂 love that rock covered table seen a pic of your garden think that’s way cool 😎

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice clump I hate you southern guys you just go out back the roots way back chop the top off stick it in a pot give it that crazy southern sun and away it goes 😂😂 love that rock covered table seen a pic of your garden think that’s way cool 😎
Under that crazy southern sun I was sweating like a pig collecting that clump.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Under that crazy southern sun I was sweating like a pig collecting that clump.
Correction. I sweat like a horse. Pigs don't sweat much at all. However, I dug like a wild pig for sure.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Note that, while I called it a clump, the trees in it are individual trees that just grew so close together naturally.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What’s your after care regime . Your collecting late in the season do you put them in the shade mist them . Or just full sun sink or swim

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What’s your after care regime . Your collecting late in the season do you put them in the shade mist them . Or just full sun sink or swim
Under patio with just 3 hours of morning sun for a week. After that out to full sun. Soil mix is moisture retentive for sure. Watered twice a day. I'm testing bonsai mix later today!! Stay tune to the species study thread.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Under patio with just 3 hours of morning sun for a week. After that out to full sun. Soil mix is moisture retentive for sure. Watered twice a day. I'm testing bonsai mix later today!! Stay tune to the species study thread.
If you water twice a day with your retentive mix you better be standing by with a hose in your hand all day with free draining mix

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure it’s the latitude or species . Or the grower . I’ve learned the hard way to be much more patient with collected trees . We have no conifer here that will respond like your . BC I have a common needle juniper I collected very late April . I got a far amount of its roots all I could get and trimmed none of the foliage . It’s quietly sulking under my crab apple tree gets about 2 hours of first light then dappled light . Granted they are know. To be difficult . The large silver maple again this spring top little trimmed all the roots I could get not a great amount rock crack tree . Moved into more light from the shade yesterday . Nothing moves until it shows growth . I have learned the chop the roots and chop the top and grow a new tree had a high degree of failure . Up here . You need solar panels to grow roots and roots to grow panels . But that’s just me and here do what works for you on your trees .

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Budded out nicely. I might put it in a mica pot soon. It us just to nice to stay in a flat.
3ADEC239-9DB6-4419-AE57-CEF79FDA0DE0.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It doesn't look like much but I am slowly carving the tops of the trees and working on the development of the canopy. As soon as the trees settle and grow in the new pot, I am going to prune and wire the branches. I believe this will look very good in a few years.

Top Bottom