Cjr Delonix Regia

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
;)

ANd I think if you measure the trunk that is visible on your initial picture it is even around just over 1 inch. Happy to see my visual cues still are not lying too badly. But.. Nice result for one season! (It was one season, right?)
Yes. You saw the picture I posted early this year that I got it just coming from the seeds of a tamarind we ate late in the summer.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes. You saw the picture I posted early this year that I got it just coming from the seeds of a tamarind we ate late in the summer.
Leatherback got me real curious so I brought my caliper out. It is 1 3/8" at 2" above the base.

I kept thinking to myself how I could have overestimated things that badly then it dawned on me. I am near sighted and I was wearing non prescription sun glasses while I was out moving the trees around.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You were closer than me.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice tree, is it outdoors already?
20200314_153733.jpg
It was chopped and is now budding profusely. The chop was high to give more branches for the rapid growth I know about this species. Once the trunk gets to 3" and it bears fruit, the tree will be chopped aggressively and put in bonsai pot. It is now in a big 55 gal drum cutoff with just 4.5 inch of soil to keep the root shallow. My plan is to work the roots next year.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 289989
It was chopped and is now budding profusely. The chop was high to give more branches for the rapid growth I know about this species. Once the trunk gets to 3" and it bears fruit, the tree will be chopped aggressively and put in bonsai pot. It is now in a big 55 gal drum cutoff with just 4.5 inch of soil to keep the root shallow. My plan is to work the roots next year.
Them weeds is problematic. You have two of the worst weeds: Black Medic and Bittercress. BM spreads with underground rhizomes and puts deep carrot shaped roots into the upper roots of your trees that break off easily and take years to get rid of, once establish. Yours is established. The seeds will find their way to every pot you own, and your yard, forever. Bittercress has skinny exploding seed tips and may be even worse doing the same thing. Use a Bernz-O-matic butane torch them on the surface until they are exhausted.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 289989
Awesome! Did you chop down to a stump with no leaves? I have several seedlings that I'm training though they're far from being this size, diameter of the trunk (if it can be called a trunk) is just a couple mm.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Them weeds is problematic. You have two of the worst weeds: Black Medic and Bittercress. BM spreads with underground rhizomes and puts deep carrot shaped roots into the upper roots of your trees that break off easily and take years to get rid of, once establish. Yours is established. The seeds will find their way to every pot you own, and your yard, forever. Bittercress has skinny exploding seed tips and may be even worse doing the same thing. Use a Bernz-O-matic butane torch them on the surface until they are exhausted.
They had been in the land when I first got here! Yeah it is tough to fight them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Awesome! Did you chop down to a stump with no leaves? I have several seedlings that I'm training though they're far from being this size, diameter of the trunk (if it can be called a trunk) is just a couple mm.
Yeah. Tamarindus indica will bud easily. They grow quick too. This thing is only 1.5 year old. I planted it from seed in the fall of 2018.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah. Tamarindus indica will bud easily. They grow quick too. This thing is only 1.5 year old. I planted it from seed in the fall of 2018.
Great! Now I have something to look forward to, there's not a lot of info about tamarinds out there.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great! Now I have something to look forward to, there's not a lot of info about tamarinds out there.
Copy this "cây me bonsai" and search YouTube. You will see amazing tamarind bonsai and detail work on the tree. I must say my taste is a little different than theirs since in the preference there is for exotic shape they call "quái". I'm more a naturalist so I go for the shape of the tamarind trees I saw in my youth.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Copy this "cây me bonsai" and search YouTube. You will see amazing tamarind bonsai and detail work on the tree. I must say my taste is a little different than theirs since in the preference there is for exotic shape they call "quái". I'm more a naturalist so I go for the shape of the tamarind trees I saw in my youth.
Thanks! Now I see that there's actually a lot of info. 😅

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
View attachment 289989
A few days later.
20200320_101632.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The nebari is developing.

20200714_070824.jpg
I am thinking about chopping the branches to make cutting.
@Anthony does Tamarindus Indica form roots easily from cuttings or do I need to air layer?
20200714_071020.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It turned out I got my seedlings mixed up. A botanist told me that this is definitely a poinciana. Here it is. Another hurricane survivor.
B5A37D51-D155-46D1-A4A2-FB247ADB5B2F.jpeg

Top Bottom