Cjr Delonix Regia

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The wound closing capability of Dolonix regia is impressive. This 1” branch was cut 4 months ago and it has completely healed.
EFFC5336-A456-4C9E-9230-40B8123DBCAB.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Still growing. The base is almost 6”
49EB5EDC-DC2F-40CA-960D-4E06FC5CBD8D.jpeg
The trunk is a sure 2”
The ACEA1B3E-D9F8-4C80-84C3-F9A3D8C3AAB4.jpeg
It wants to spread out wide. The canopy is so thick it will kill inside branches.
A2148A9E-A908-4C8A-9D4C-12BCCC7BA614.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am thinking about moving this Delonix regia into a pot in the spring. Right now it is in a 55 gallon drum cut off bottom. Allowed to grow unchecked it will be 8 ft tall next year. I am planning to keep it at maximum 4ft in development and a final height of 27”. The species usually spreads out laterally a lot so it will be at least as wide as it is tall. Any advice on pot size is appreciated.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We are at the end of the growth season. The tree has reached the trunk size I want. I can’t wait for the spring to move it out of the grow pot into a training pot. All branches will be cut back to within 1.5” from the main trunk.

0541928D-68F6-43C7-8002-78E673C37338.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Then it won't flower next year. ?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Then it won't flower next year. ?
Delonix regia grows flower buds out of tender shoots started in the spring so I can chop the branches to my heart content and it still bears flower in the summer if it is mature enough. This one is still too young so I don’t expect it to flower.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
As I mentioned before, I really like to receive advice on the bonsai training pot. For this coming season, I will try to keep the height and spread of the tree under 36". This year it is 6ft across in the cut off 55 gal drum pot. I can just move it to a grow box but I think the coming year it will look nice for about 2-3 months early in the spring. I would like to enjoy seeing it in a pot even if just a training pot.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
:oops: That's pretty big by most standards. Are you planning on making this into a bonsai? What size?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
:oops: That's pretty big by most standards. Are you planning on making this into a bonsai? What size?
Yes. The final height for this will be 26" or so with a spread about the same. Should I get a pot for that size? 2/3 of 26" will be around 17". I am thinking about 17" oval. Then I probably need to tie it down since it will be bigger than that in late summer while it is still in development. With the wind around here that will be troublesome.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am thinking about this training pot. It's a little large but then there's more room to grow. I was thinking oval but then this rectangular pot seems fine. I'm getting the RB18. Your thought BNutters?
I have these. They work perfectly well. I personally use pond baskets for training though, because I am lazy and want my roots to prune themselves.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have these. They work perfectly well. I personally use pond baskets for training though, because I am lazy and want my roots to prune themselves.
I primarily want to put it in pot because there are a few months in the year that I know it will look really good and I want to be able to enjoy it. Otherwise I would keep it in my grow pot.

Top Bottom