CjR Japanese maples

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm creating this thread to mark the beginning of my experience with JM. I have Mellow Mullet to thanks for all this.
This past weekend I got 1 rooted cutting from MM. It is alread in one a board in a growing pot.
I also started 20 cuttings from a JM that MM just did a trunk chop. I hope some will take. I also planted some Trident seeds that MM gave me. I hope some will germinate.
Like I said this is a start. I'm sure pictures will be coming in soon.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Purpurea put on strong growth after having roots on a board and put in a grow box.
20190322_081531.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This time is the best time for us in the South to look at Japanese maples. Summer and Fall are not since you will start seeing leave burn. Enjoy while you can.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, they are a bit large. I'd have gone at least half that size, smaller would be better. Those are going to hold onto a lot of water in the soil around the actual root mass. That wet soil, surrounding relatively drier soil inside the rootmass (roots use moisture--soil not colonized by the roots retains water), can slow down or even prevent roots from entering it.

May or may not be an issue. Certainly means you're going to have to keep an eye on the watering...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Out here on the bank of a salt water lake, my issue has always been one of drying out. I realize the box is a bit large but they are the convenient size for box construction using the fence slats I have. I'll keep an eye for watering for sure.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If this 1" cutting from MM roots, that would be awesome.
20190322_094645.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's been 5 weeks and some of the larger cuttings have this much leaves. I hope that they have developed some roots. Hot weather is coming next month.
20190401_191637.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m wondering about this too. I’ve got a few cuttings that are now leafing out...does this mean roots are forming? Or am I not in the clear just yet?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand that maples will leave out, pretty without failure. ANd only around mid-spring, when you see continued growth, you can assume roots. IF they are just stuck in their 1-3 leafpairs, they are just callusing.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well. All the tiny cuttings died. The larger pencil sized cuttings are hanging on but barely. If they live two more months I would stop holding my breath.

Top Bottom