Cjr Liquidambar 1

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Progression thread
Collected May 18, 2022 severe root and top prune. In cheap potting soil.
3073BBD8-B5C2-43C9-BF1E-6D6C342A9F50.jpeg

June 4, 2022 profuse budding
D501CF4F-D784-4658-ADEB-97F79FB9CAAB.jpeg
9FF6684F-177D-4160-B660-D911A3BF7382.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I really hope that this tree will develop well. Right behind it is a bigger tree just collected. If I can get these things into bonsai shape, that will be good news. Right now I just want them to stay alive!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
False hope!
My memory is terrible. Chopped down to stump the Sweetgum and Mayhaw can look similar. This turned out to be a Mayhaw. This morning the buds break and I see tiny Mayhaw leaves! I am going to have to tag my collected trees.
@Bonsai Nut : Please change this thread to "Cjr Crataegus aestivalis 3"

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
False hope!
My memory is terrible. Chopped down to stump the Sweetgum and Mayhaw can look similar. This turned out to be a Mayhaw. This morning the buds break and I see tiny Mayhaw leaves! I am going to have to tag my collected trees.
@Bonsai Nut : Please change this thread to "Cjr Crataegus aestivalis 3"
Never mind @Bonsai Nut I found the liquidambar.
254C93FC-2AD6-4A17-A7F3-8EBE61EF635A.jpeg
789201AC-807D-496B-9754-D9E2E708F4A6.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good luck with it. I've tried a few as they are like weeds around here. I've been able to collect seedlings with no problem but have not had success with larger trunks. They push some leaves and then crap out. Hope you have better luck. Looks like a promising trunk.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
where are you finding the pine mulch? Stock up!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like this tree. I have to stop and admire the beautiful young foliage every morning.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good luck with it. I've tried a few as they are like weeds around here. I've been able to collect seedlings with no problem but have not had success with larger trunks. They push some leaves and then crap out. Hope you have better luck. Looks like a promising trunk.
Some of mine are crapping out too. This one is getting worse after profuse budding.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some of mine are crapping out too. This one is getting worse after profuse budding.
Sorry to hear that. Mine never grew any new roots at all. It just pushed a bunch of buds from stored energy in the trunk. The shoots never extended and they eventually just died off. Hope that's not what's happening with yours.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry to hear that. Mine never grew any new roots at all. It just pushed a bunch of buds from stored energy in the trunk. The shoots never extended and they eventually just died off. Hope that's not what's happening with yours.
The ones that I collected with some low branches and some foliage are doing well. The buds they pushed continue to stay green. The ones I collected bare and did severe root prunes are not doing so hot at the moment. They came on strong then regress and the buds begin to dry out. I will find out in a few weeks I think.

Top Bottom