Cjr live oak yamadori #2

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm getting ready to move this bad boy to a grow box too. Based on what I saw on my other live oak, I should be able to cut off about 5" of the root system and fit it into a grow box just in time for the second growing season down here. I figure I better get the root system sorted first.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you sure you don’t want to wait one more year since it was collected and cut back this year already. I imagine it is showing vigor (update pic please), but as my dad would say, “discretion is the better part of valor.”

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Are you sure you don’t want to wait one more year since it was collected and cut back this year already. I imagine it is showing vigor (update pic please), but as my dad would say, “discretion is the better part of valor.”
Originally I planned to wait another year but it grew like crazy in the spring then goes into dormancy in the heat of summer. Right now we are heading into the second growing season in the fall. I figure I can take advantage of having two growing seasons and do the move now.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Was able to cut off more than half the height of the root ball and get the tree well fit into a grow box.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Styling advice needed. I am thinking about cutting off the entire trunk on the left, making this a single trunk. Your thoughts?

B968FB68-F76D-417D-AC30-B8A3F8BEF566.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good Progress so far. Removing major trunk near/at soil line opens tree to major rot. Also will take some time to heal. If keeping tree will have bigger base/always a +.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cleaned up the tree. Did some branch selection. Established the new apex. Used my new Makita grinder to carve the trunk. As soon as we had good sunshine and things dry out I will seal the carved area. I will wire it later when the leaves have hardened.
BEDE01FB-B752-4078-B97F-8B6B349D0CDC.jpeg
B97D8529-1F4B-48F2-B98C-066EC042F7FC.jpeg
CEC8CAAB-744C-446B-97AF-CFDBDC1DD3B1.jpeg
49E21470-D727-4DC0-AB3F-108A17F1655B.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cleaned up the tree. Did some branch selection. Established the new apex. Used my new Makita grinder to carve the trunk. As soon as we had good sunshine and things dry out I will seal the carved area. I will wire it later when the leaves have hardened.
View attachment 430432
View attachment 430434
View attachment 430436
View attachment 430437
I think I will put it in a pot next year and begin the refining phase or at least working toward it. I am happy with the way the trunk turns out. Now I will spend the next few years to try to heal those big scar.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good! I haven’t seen a lot (or any) credible live oak, but you are well in your way in my opinion.
Again, in my opinion, I would point out that moving to a smaller pot and focusing on refinement, is in conflict with healing wounds. What if you have it another couple years with a mid and/or high sacrifice branch to close the wounds? You could still work on refining the structure you have developed, while the sacrifice do their work.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looking good! I haven’t seen a lot (or any) credible live oak, but you are well in your way in my opinion.
Again, in my opinion, I would point out that moving to a smaller pot and focusing on refinement, is in conflict with healing wounds. What if you have it another couple years with a mid and/or high sacrifice branch to close the wounds? You could still work on refining the structure you have developed, while the sacrifice do their work.
With this tree I get a big 3 to 4 ft tall whip right out of the apex I select in about 4 months. The wounds are actually closing in slowly but surely. I might keep it in the grow box another year. Still kind of undecided.
PS: I have a lot of giant live oaks around me for inspiration. I believe I have the right shape. The hard part is getting the long spreading branches down low to look credible.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I need to give a shout out to @MACH5. His post on Closing Wound is my go-by to closing the cuts on my bonsai. After letting the carved area dry, I put the Kwikwood 2 part epoxy on the cuts yesterday. They look good.

Top Bottom