Cjr live oak yamadori #2

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wound up cutting off a tier of roots and exposed almost 2 more inches of that fat trunk. It looks good. However, that meant the tree lost a major portion of its root mass. I now will have to baby it back to health.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wound up cutting off a tier of roots and exposed almost 2 more inches of that fat trunk. It looks good. However, that meant the tree lost a major portion of its root mass. I now will have to baby it back to health.
That was a very drastic move. Moving into a bonsai pot and cutting off the entire top tier of roots shocked the tree. It was dicey for a while but it is now rebudding vigorously!
DDC5E8D3-4A43-44B2-9EFC-B5BEF016D02C.jpeg
3782A872-685F-4E98-BCB0-2C1B0D53C93A.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The tree recovers nicely while I was gone on vacation.
778F92DF-4F0A-422E-94E7-F8A8A18C7B0E.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We are all the way back to growing well. Had to cut the apex because it was getting a bit out of hand.
Before
2C7D7690-0E79-4364-A843-4DDE1C0C488B.jpeg
C54242CE-4481-4D00-92F4-1953D66C6E01.jpeg

After
A607D443-FB84-4B14-8E37-FABF84ED2830.jpeg
AD9914DC-316F-48E2-B2F5-A47D6B2B1A6E.jpeg
B5641CCE-F266-499E-8EEF-DFE052BCCC93.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As soon as the tree wakes up in the spring, I am planning to do wedge cut on some of the branches to drop the angle lower.

If you're going for a traditional live oak style, wouldn't you want the limbs to start going up and out? Seems like you've got a good start on most of those if you cut back further then train the new growth you get to go down and get twisty.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You could cut the branches back and then when they back bud, cut to a bottom bud after you’re up and outs. Do you think you could guy wire those two bottom branches down and just tweak them a little by little? It would add a little taper to those branches also.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you're going for a traditional live oak style, wouldn't you want the limbs to start going up and out? Seems like you've got a good start on most of those if you cut back further then train the new growth you get to go down and get twisty.
The very old live oaks have branches that are so long they droop down. Some actually rest on the ground for support.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The very old live oaks have branches that are so long they droop down. Some actually rest on the ground for support.

Yes, but at the trunk they still start up and out, right? then droop as they move further out.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, but at the trunk they still start up and out, right? then droop as they move further out.
Not really, as the branch droops with the heavy weight the angle changes. I have tried to pull my branches down but they spring right back up even after months of being pulled way down. I am going to do wedge cut on them and see how that goes.

Attachments

• the-Sallier-Oak-calcasieu.jpeg
    the-Sallier-Oak-calcasieu.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really, as the branch droop with the heavy weight the angle changes.

OK. Your live oaks and our live oaks behave a bit differently then. Good to know. This is Q lobata, our biggest live oak. Branches start up and out, then droop.

1673453207002.png

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
OK. Your live oaks and our live oaks behave a bit differently then. Good to know.
For this live oak I am trying to make it looks like the Sallier Oak in Lake Charles.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
OK. Your live oaks and our live oaks behave a bit differently then. Good to know. This is Q lobata, our biggest live oak. Branches start up and out, then droop.

View attachment 468215
Ours start out like that too but once the oaks reach 200+ year old, being in the wet humid climate, the branches hold a lot of water and are super heavy so they droop a lot more.
For me in the beginning I was really concerned with the big chop scars but lately all our oaks around here have huge scars due to hurricanes so mine now looks normal to me :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am super sad over the death of this tree. After the hard freeze we hard came a month-long period of warm weather and the tree started to push out lots of bud. Then came 2 nights of frost with temperature around 32 deg F, which I didn't think would be an issue. The frost killed all the young buds and the tree never recovered.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am super sad over the death of this tree. After the hard freeze we hard came a month-long period of warm weather and the tree started to push out lots of bud. Then came 2 nights of frost with temperature around 32 deg F, which I didn't think would be an issue. The frost killed all the young buds and the tree never recovered.
How do you know it's dead?

FWIW, I had a smaller live oak I brought up from Texas a while back. I overwintered it in the backyard for about five years. In that time, it lost every branch it grew the previous summer when it froze over the winter. It's roots were heavily mulched and weren't killed off. The plant sprouted new buds every spring.

I finally gave up on it because I couldn't get branching on it.

All that means the root mass (and probably significant portions of the top) on yours may still be alive. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Top Bottom