Cjr Live oak yamadori

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How much of that big tap root did you wack off if I can ask? Nice find. Wish I could go out my door in the middle of winter and collect one like that. Peter

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've made another cut at red line. I'm hoping for a shoot at green line so I can make a cut at yellow line.View attachment 223293
Since the tree has a huge tap root I decided to only cut 1/2 of it and put it in a fairly deep pot. I will cut the tap root further next year when I repot.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
angled cut at first branch on left should do it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
angled cut at first branch on left should do it.
I'll see how well that branch recovers. Right now it doesn't look very healthy. Plus I do want to keep a bit of the trunk at the bend because it is interesting. I suppose I can cut at the yellow line now and hope for a bud near the cut.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a water oak in August 2017, leaving only a small branch with a few leaves that held till early winter 2018 when i chopped it 2" above the soil line (post collection and original chop it only grew 1 new small shoot). In March 2018 it sent out around 10 shoots all along that 2" stub.

I haven't messed much with southern live oak yet. Got one growing from a acorn that sprouted in another pot that i potted up last year. Wired the trunk this year and plan to repot in spring. Its only about 1ft tall though.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Got a healthy 6" sucker growing right out of the base and a tiny bud on the trunk so the tree wants to live. Normally I would cut the sucker but this tree seems weak. I'm letting everything grow.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This tree is growing fast. The sucker at the base is a foot tall. Now that I have lots of side branches with healthy foliage to collect energy for the tree, should I cut the sucker to keep it from competing with the branches?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is growing fast. The sucker at the base is a foot tall. Now that I have lots of side branches with healthy foliage to collect energy for the tree, should I cut the sucker to keep it from competing with the branches?
Until the leaves are "leather hard" they aren't producing anything for the tree...Chopping new growth now will waste all the energy the tree put into making that new growth. I don't do ANYTING to collected trees for at least a year...

Top Bottom