Cjr Live oak yamadori

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Until the leaves are "leather hard" they aren't producing anything for the tree...Chopping new growth now will waste all the energy the tree put into making that new growth. I don't do ANYTING to collected trees for at least a year...
Yet another confusing viewpoint in bonsai horticulture. Yes pulling off new growth seems counterproductive. But why allow energy to continue into sucker growth when it’s not contributing new energy to the engines. Seems plucking out immediately would redirect the energy into more productive growth sites.? No?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yet another confusing viewpoint in bonsai horticulture. Yes pulling off new growth seems counterproductive. But why allow energy to continue into sucker growth when it’s not contributing new energy to the engines. Seems plucking out immediately would redirect the energy into more productive growth sites.? No?
I think I got @rockm’s message. The energy source is from the collected tree and it is very limited. Wherever it is expended we want to get it back plus interest else it runs out and the collected tree dies.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I think I got @rockm’s message. The energy source is from the collected tree and it is very limited. Wherever it is expended we want to get it back plus interest else it runs out and the collected tree dies.
Yes this makes sense. Letting the plant get a return on its growth while it fights for its life. And then -a year later or so, when healthy make decisions.
Thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huh? Don't know how many collected trees you've worked with, but in the initial period post-collection ANY growth is good growth. The plant has invested in that growth using a compromised root system. IT chooses where it will grow--at least for the first couple of seasons. Preemption of that new growth by the grower in an attempt to conform to their design is counterproductive and potentially dangerous to the re-developing root mass. Removing it prematurely forces the plant to start over somewhere else. That costs energy and time, something newly collected trees have little to waste. Design is SECONDARY to health of the stock. Allowing new growth to run in the first months and even years after collection results in more successful collections...

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Huh? Don't know how many collected trees you've worked with, but in the initial period post-collection ANY growth is good growth. The plant has invested in that growth using a compromised root system. IT chooses where it will grow--at least for the first couple of seasons. Preemption of that new growth by the grower in an attempt to conform to their design is counterproductive and potentially dangerous to the re-developing root mass. Removing it prematurely forces the plant to start over somewhere else. That costs energy and time, something newly collected trees have little to waste. Design is SECONDARY to health of the stock. Allowing new growth to run in the first months and even years after collection results in more successful collections...
Thank you for this.
No, I have not collected that many trees. At times I have been guilty of plucking off suckers/new shoots from the soil line-figuring the plant would abandon the main trunk.
Thanks to your explanation, I now see the light. 😊

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I forgot that I left a sizable chunk of the tap root on the tree at the time of the last repot. That was a mistake. Cutting that chunk off was risky. The tree is weak now and must be brought back to health again.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It is still struggling mightily.
D15F4080-F300-4888-A9B9-71F2D92200FA.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It is officially dead. Sigh.
I took a chance and did a severe root prune after a storm caused the emergency repot in the middle of the hot summer. Too big a chance it turned out to be. In 6 short weeks, a perfectly healthy live oak bonsai is done!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took a chance and did a severe root prune after a storm caused the emergency repot in the middle of the hot summer. Too big a chance it turned out to be. In 6 short weeks, a perfectly healthy live oak bonsai is done!
Absolutely no chance at all🤔?

Top Bottom