CJR rainbow eucalyptus

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mother nature told me I had to collect my air layer! It's a bit early. I hope it survives.
View attachment 237262
The basket and potting soil were the material at hand.
View attachment 237263
It's been over a week. No new growth but no sign of wilting. I think it will be alright. Next week I'll bring it out to full sun.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mother nature told me I had to collect my air layer! It's a bit early. I hope it survives.
View attachment 237262
The basket and potting soil were the material at hand.
View attachment 237263
The tree survived the early air layer harvest and is growing well. It has such a long straight and uninteresting trunk. I don't quite know what to do with it yet.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The trunk is still too long. I started a second air layer that will be collected in August. The first air layer is doing well and will be chopped in July.
20190519_081854.jpg

20190520_062030.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Absolutely fascinating! I wired this branch into the apex position last Monday and it grew big in just 1 week while the branches above and below it stay relatively the same size they were. As a matter of fact it grew so fast the wire appears to bite in a little already.

20190526_090127.jpg

20190526_090205.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The trunk is still too long. I started a second air layer that will be collected in August. The first air layer is doing well and will be chopped in July.
View attachment 243044

View attachment 243046
Harvested the air layer I started on May 20. 2 months and 1 week later.254719254720

The mother tree is now like this.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Still alive and looking ok, thanks for documenting this.

I was going to post a new random thread but this seems kind of relevant so hope you don't mind if I post here.

The trunk is still too long.

I'm thinking elongation is something you will probably have to work with on these trees, unless you find a method of controlling it but their habit is fast, long growth.
Funnily enough my windows resting screen has offered up this pic of Rainbows recently, I think it may illustrate some of their natural growth tendencies.
Honestly though I just thought it a cool picture.

1ee39873255ec59ac92ee2429a7941d6.jpg
I clicked the like what you see button and am now rewarded with more beautiful Euc pics.

And another bit of info I have stumbled upon is that there are two sp. or at least a subsp. whith E. deglupta....
The following is a quote from my go to Eucalyptus guy....

' There are two species of 'rainbow gums' - The well-known Eucalyptus deglupta, with dull, rounded leaves and waxy branchlets, and the closely-related but more commonly-planted E. binacag, with shiny, pointed leaves and non-waxy branchlets.

Unlike most eucalypts, neither species is indigenous to Australia, with E. deglupta native to Ceram, Sulawesi, New Guinea and far eastern New Britain, while E. binacag is native to the Philippines and much of New Britain.'

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Still alive and looking ok, thanks for documenting this.

I was going to post a new random thread but this seems kind of relevant so hope you don't mind if I post here.

I'm thinking elongation is something you will probably have to work with on these trees, unless you find a method of controlling it but their habit is fast, long growth.
Funnily enough my windows resting screen has offered up this pic of Rainbows recently, I think it may illustrate some of their natural growth tendencies.
Honestly though I just thought it a cool picture.

View attachment 254813
I clicked the like what you see button and am now rewarded with more beautiful Euc pics.

And another bit of info I have stumbled upon is that there are two sp. or at least a subsp. whith E. deglupta....
The following is a quote from my go to Eucalyptus guy....

' There are two species of 'rainbow gums' - The well-known Eucalyptus deglupta, with dull, rounded leaves and waxy branchlets, and the closely-related but more commonly-planted E. binacag, with shiny, pointed leaves and non-waxy branchlets.

Unlike most eucalypts, neither species is indigenous to Australia, with E. deglupta native to Ceram, Sulawesi, New Guinea and far eastern New Britain, while E. binacag is native to the Philippines and much of New Britain.'
Thank you for the info. It is definitely relevant to this thread.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So far I have discovered that it is best to clip and grow rainbow eucalyptus. They hate tobe wired. Wired braches have half the growth rate of unwired ones. As a matter of fact the tree will shed the wired branches if it has other choices.

9 weeks are all it takes for a really healthy R.E. air layer.

Last edited:

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m tempted to try one of these after looking at this thread.
Thanks
Now to find someone local who is selling them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two of them that I found on Etsy for a very good price. They are still in the one gallon pots they were shipped in and I got them back in April. One has not been touched by pruners or wire and grew straight as an arrow from about 18" to about 30". The other one I wired a curve in the trunk The lower branch on the bottom of the curve was weak and the branch on top of the curve was strong. It back budded like crazy so I removed the weak branch and replaced it with an even better placed new shoot that is growing vigorously. I removed the wire about 2 weeks ago and it held most of the curve just fine. I thought I would have to re-wire the trunk but I do not need to. I will wire the lower branches probably this winter. Both plants will be kept in a greenhouse this winter.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
2019 year end report.
The original tree from last year now looks like this with a 2" trunk. Good rainbow color is developing on the trunk.

The first air layer now looks like this with a 1.5 inch trunk also with good color. It carries the 4th air layer. After the air layer it will be chopped to 6".

The second air layer now looks like this with a 1" trunk. It came off a side branch I didn't want. Next spring it will be chopped to 5".

The third air layer came off the main trunk and has a 1.5 inch trunk with rainbow color already developing. Next spring it will be chopped to 6".

All on all a good year for my R.E. I don't plan for any more air layer. Trunk will simply be chopped from now on unless a friend wants one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I like Eucalyptus kruseana, a small tree with very tiny beautiful leaves

Eucalyptus_kruseana_03.jpg

Eucalyptus%20kruseana.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like Eucalyptus kruseana, a small tree with very tiny beautiful leaves
This is the Eucalyptus that florists use for arrangements and gardeners treat as an annual. Many years ago, about 45 actually, I was delivering mulch and plants to a house in Richmond Virginia and the owners had one wintering in their garage that was about 5 feet tall. It was quite bushy as it had been pruned back several times over several years.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Winter claimed two of my air layers. Still I have 3 healthy R.E. This one, though smaller is currently my favorite. The trunk already show rainbow colors. The shape and branching placement is pleasing to me. My goal of a 18" tall bonsai with colorful trunk with good taper is shaping up.
20200327_071104.jpg
20200327_071131.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
By the way RE is notorious for dropping the branch when it is wired. The tree bud so readily that it will give up the branch and grow new ones. Clip and grow is also finicky. Die back is vicious if the clipped branch is not matured enough.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Heard gay Koalas eat these.

Picture a gay koala swinging around a branch with a long cigarette in the outside hand, batting his eyes at you!

Couldn't help it.

Sorce
Bahaha. Thanks for the laugh.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had 2 for a year now and they are especially vigorous growers. Really nothing to show yet but I appreciate this post. Mine were fairly expensive on Etsy but there is a man on eBay that has a bunch of them in 2 sizes. If you are looking for one, put it in eBay search.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have 3 now. 2", 1.25", and 1" trunk. Don't need any more.

Top Bottom