USDA Zone
10A
Oops meant to tag you. Cajunrider was an accident! Lol

Kelsan23

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Sorry to hijack this thread, but since it’s pertaining the Rainbow Eucalyptus, I figured it would be better than starting my own thread.

I’ve had this tree for roughly 6 months and has been been doing great. Lately I’ve been noticing the leaves discoloring to yellow, I know it’s not an over watering issue since I haven’t changed it’s watering schedule from day one.

Just wondering if you’ve experienced anything similar with your trees?

Attachments

• 04184966-138A-4088-9E1D-45EBEC8434AF.jpeg
    04184966-138A-4088-9E1D-45EBEC8434AF.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 53
  • D2AE9145-F781-45F7-B684-6D4DEF66CA05.jpeg
    D2AE9145-F781-45F7-B684-6D4DEF66CA05.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 58EDAEFB-5557-49B9-9913-97326E810AE1.jpeg
    58EDAEFB-5557-49B9-9913-97326E810AE1.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 52

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry to hijack this thread, but since it’s pertaining the Rainbow Eucalyptus, I figured it would be better than starting my own thread.

I’ve had this tree for roughly 6 months and has been been doing great. Lately I’ve been noticing the leaves discoloring to yellow, I know it’s not an over watering issue since I haven’t changed it’s watering schedule from day one.

It's hard to over water rainbow eucalyptus. They came from the Philippines with lots of rain. Looks like it need some nutrient.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Google iron chlorosis. It's probably that.

Sno

Mame
Reaction score
I've been looking for a rainbow eucalyptus bonsai image for a while and only found one reasonable one. I think I can get to this stage in a few years.
View attachment 294904
Sorry guys , but this looks more like a Lagerstroemia ,Crepe Myrtle . I still think Cajunrider that you could get your tree to look similar to this though .

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I could never find a rainbow eucalyptus with good color I figured it was a tree thay nobody grew! Its awesome to see someone growing one. I will need to try in the future

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry guys , but this looks more like a Lagerstroemia ,Crepe Myrtle . I still think Cajunrider that you could get your tree to look similar to this though .
I suspected that too but didn't say anything because I wasn't sure.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've been looking for a rainbow eucalyptus bonsai image for a while and only found one reasonable one. I think I can get to this stage in a few years.
View attachment 294904
I don't know what that is, but it bears no resemblance to this...
Augie at Fairchild Gardens 2004.JPG
One of these is a Rainbow Euc at Fairchild Gardens. The other is uncolorful, at best.

biox7

Seed
Reaction score
I've been following this thread for quite some time and figured I show the progress of some of my rainbows. I have a total of about 9 trees. The ones in the ground are about 3 years old. Alot of the smaller ones are all airlayered. I grew them from seeds and live in south florida. The only problem I'm going to be faced with is digging the big ones up because I don't know how the roots will react. They are extremely hardy trees down here.20201018_092451.jpg20201018_092535.jpg20201018_092617.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've been following this thread for quite some time and figured I show the progress of some of my rainbows. I have a total of about 9 trees. The ones in the ground are about 3 years old. Alot of the smaller ones are all airlayered. I grew them from seeds and live in south florida. The only problem I'm going to be faced with is digging the big ones up because I don't know how the roots will react. They are extremely hardy trees down here.View attachment 335252View attachment 335253View attachment 335254
Good luck digging the big one up. I think you'll be fine. I find them to be fairly resilient.

biox7

Seed
Reaction score
Good luck digging the big one up. I think you'll be fine. I find them to be fairly resilient.
Do you think I can do a full root chop in spring after some budding? My biggest worry is alot of the feeder roots will be too far extended from the trunk to save them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Do you think I can do a full root chop in spring after some budding? My biggest worry is alot of the feeder roots will be too far extended from the trunk to save them.
Well so far I did a full dig on one 8ft tall and it died. I am not sure whether it was my poor care after dig or the full root chop. My nephew and I took a more precautious route on his 7 ft one. We spaded down 18" on a half circle 12" from the trunk using a root slayer spade 6 months before the dig. 3 months before the dig we did the other half circle. When we dug it up and repotted we had zero problem.

biox7

Seed
Reaction score
Well so far I did a full dig on one 8ft tall and it died. I am not sure whether it was my poor care after dig or the full root chop. My nephew and I took a more precautious route on his 7 ft one. We spaded down 18" on a half circle 12" from the trunk using a root slayer spade 6 months before the dig. 3 months before the dig we did the other half circle. When we dug it up and repotted we had zero problem.
That was my next plan! I will be patient and try that. Thank you!

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That was my next plan! I will be patient and try that. Thank you!
Since they airlayer so easily, you could also try doing an airlayer and let the roots develop longer to support a larger tree.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am anxiously waiting for this one to bud. Two category 4 hurricanes stripped all its leaves and broke branches. Then they were inside an unheated house for the last winter freeze in the gulf coast.
20210313_103411.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am anxiously waiting for this one to bud. Two category 4 hurricanes stripped all its leaves and broke branches. Then they were inside an unheated house for the last winter freeze in the gulf coast.
View attachment 360536
Glad to see you back. Hope things are looking up for you.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Not meaning to be a downer and hope I am wrong as the bark is really cool but
- Eucalpytus (sorry sp. ??) are an evergreen tree, as in this tree hasn’t got any leaves after the storm x 10 strength, it might be dead.
Hope it shoots away in your Spring soon.
Charles

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Plenty of Eucalyptus can handle a full defoliation, think Koalas and Bushfires. It's a survival mechanism and are dependent of such actions if they are a lignotuberous species.
Unfortunately Rainbows aren't such a species.
The cold is likely the biggest threat, I can't keep them alive outdoors here. But do hope it does shoot for you, it was coming along nicely.

Top Bottom