Cjr Spondias Dulcis progression

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I decided to create this thread to document the progression. I got the tree and put it in a wide shallow pot in late June 2018.
It is now in winter storage. Still it has a flower bloom and likely will bear a couple fruits.

2019 I will air layer the whole tree then chop the existing trunk to 4 inch level.
20180908_084451.jpg20180915_113054.jpg
20181208_095359.jpg20181208_095417.jpg

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I decided to create this thread to document the progression. I got the tree and put it in a wide shallow pot in late June 2018.
It is now in winter storage. Still it has a flower bloom and likely will bear a couple fruits.

2019 I will air layer the whole tree then chop the existing trunk to 4 inch level.
View attachment 219683View attachment 219684
View attachment 219688View attachment 219689
Hey,
I’m curious if you still have this tree in your collection? If so, I’d be interested to see an update. Thanks in advance!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey,
I’m curious if you still have this tree in your collection? If so, I’d be interested to see an update. Thanks in advance!
Hurricane Laura took it from me. It was stored on the house but wound up missing along with my furniture. It was coming along nicely. I was going to do a fall report but alas.

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hurricane Laura took it from me. It was stored on the house but wound up missing along with my furniture. It was coming along nicely. I was going to do a fall report but alas.
Sorry to hear that, they look like they have nice potential. I heard they’re popular in Vietnam which gave me hope of finding a trained specimen on the interwebs. A very brief search yielded nothing outside of this. Now for a moment of silence to honor your lost furniture and tree.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry to hear that, they look like they have nice potential. I heard they’re popular in Vietnam which gave me hope of finding a trained specimen on the interwebs. A very brief search yielded nothing outside of this. Now for a moment of silence to honor your lost furniture and tree.
search for "bonsai cây cóc" and you will get thousands of weird examples. Look beyond the weirdness and you will see tremendous potential of a very pliable tree. Some of the examples you will see are hundreds of years old.

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
search for "bonsai cây cóc" and you will get thousands of weird examples. Look beyond the weirdness and you will see tremendous potential of a very pliable tree. Some of the examples you will see are hundreds of years old.
Thanks for the tip. After seeing the search results, I agree definitely weird. Not sure if they’re trying to replicate old trees or gastrointestinal tracts? Unclear. I found a local nursery that carries them, I’d like to scoop a couple. If I do, I’ll keep an eye out for a replacement tree.

Top Bottom