Cjr The Rock BC

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The Rock got a trim. Some hard decisions were made to thin out the top.
IMG_8090.jpeg
IMG_8091.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I kept the branches that were on the tree below the chop at the time of collection. The one up top now look oversized. I am contemplating removing them and develop new branches. This way the branches down low has a chance to look a bit more balanced compared to the one up top. Your thoughts?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I kept the branches that were on the tree below the chop at the time of collection. The one up top now look oversized. I am contemplating removing them and develop new branches. This way the branches down low has a chance to look a bit more balanced compared to the one up top. Your thoughts?
Oversized top removed. Style changed.
IMG_8233.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg
IMG_8238.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Uncle, you have updated many of your trees. The next visit should be interesting. Are you still planning to move Spring 2024?
Yeah. Beside spending time to water them every day, I’ve spent quite a few hours to style each tree.

Below is a picture of a crepe myrtle at a local park. There are many root sprouts that push the growth of the nebari. Local park personnel only prune the trees once a year. You can see the scars on the roots when the root sprouts were cut.
IMG_8242.jpeg
IMG_8243.jpeg
IMG_8244.jpeg

Jthom123

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah. Beside spending time to water them every day, I’ve spent quite a few hours to style each tree.

Below is a picture of a crepe myrtle at a local park. There are many root sprouts that push the growth of the nebari. Local park personnel only prune the trees once a year. You can see the scars on the roots when the root sprouts were cut.
View attachment 503874
View attachment 503875
View attachment 503876
That nebari is unreal!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The top flatten out nicely after the carving. Vigorous growth got the scar closing on the small cuts. The lip has already started to form on the big cut as well.
IMG_0187.jpegIMG_0186.jpeg
IMG_0182.jpeg
IMG_0184.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
On the 1st anniversary of collection date, the Rock got a little more refined. Some big branches were cut because they don’t fit my vision.
BeforeIMG_0843.jpeg

Stripping leaves and pruning
IMG_0844.jpeg

Branches removed
IMG_0845.jpeg
IMG_0846.jpeg
IMG_0848.jpeg

Wired
IMG_0849.jpegIMG_0850.jpegIMG_0851.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Monday leg work for the Rock. Soil height reduced by 2/3rd. Extra top layer removed and root ball reduced in half height. Now the search for a pot begins for next year repot.

Top soil removed to expose flare.IMG_1386.jpeg

Sawing off half of bottom roots.
IMG_1387.jpeg

Bottom of trunk is healing well.
IMG_1388.jpeg

Roots
IMG_1389.jpeg

Back in shallow pot with new soil.
IMG_1390.jpeg
IMG_1392.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am hoping the tree adjust to the new soil well. I removed most of the topsoil I used for BC after collection and replaced it with my cheap bonsai mix.

Next question: The tree is hugely muscular befitting its name. I am thinking rectangular pot with stately lines. The pot will be around 22"x 32"x 6". Either that or a stone pot with strong angular lines. A stone slab also comes to mind.
What would be a good bonsai pot for this tree?

Last edited:
Top Bottom