Cjr Watering System

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This thread is to document the build of my watering system.
Phase I: Design --> Seat of my pants, all in my head so nothing to report :D :D :D :D :D The concept is a mix of misting and bubblers divided in to 4 zones. The BCs will be gathered close together into a big zone with misting on top on one schedule and bubblers at the ground on another schedule. Another zone is all misting for my cuttings and seedlings.
Phase II: Procurement is in progress. So far I've ordered.
  1. 100 ft system of water misting with 1/4" tubing and 50 misting heads.
  2. 250 ft of 1/4" irrigation tubing.
  3. 4 Sets of garden hose end males & females.
  4. A set of 100 irrigation bubblers
  5. 8 Garden hose end to 1/4" irrigation tubing adapters
What I already have on hand are odds and ends irrigation pieces from the past, some hose timers that I will use as test case for each zone. Later I will get a WiFi enabled 4 zone timer to manage my watering.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are going to need 1/2" tubing, there is no way you will be able to move the volume of water needed for an entire zone on a 1/4". You then branch out from the 1/2" with 1/4" to the emitters. The misting system is the only one that can do 1/4" all the way because it relies on the pressure built by the thin tube and the minimal water used by the nozzles.

Edit: I see you have 4 sets of garden hoses... so I think this is what you will use to transfer the water to the zone... too expensive. If you have not bought them have a look at the drop depot and the Primerus system. From all the different systems I have used, this is the cheapest one to deploy, upgrade and move when you time to move comes by.

The only special tool you will need is the puncher, no need for barb adapter to plug the 1/4" line or multi-output valves...

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You are going to need 1/2" tubing, there is no way you will be able to move the volume of water needed for an entire zone on a 1/4". You then branch out from the 1/2" with 1/4" to the emitters. The misting system is the only one that can do 1/4" all the way because it relies on the pressure built by the thin tube and the minimal water used by the nozzles.
Oops. Forgot to mention that I have some 1/2" tubing and T's etc on hand already. The 1/4" tubing for bubblers will be branched out on the 1/2" tubing.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
edited above to add the system I use...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Small tube severely reduces pressure. The more flow the greater drop in pressure due to internal pipe friction.
I use 1" or 3/4" poly for main lines and most delivery lines. Smaller pipe is only suitable for very short runs or low water use like drippers.
I'll be interested to see how the misters work on such small lines.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I need recommendations for reliable multi-zone hose end timers.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How many zones and how big of an area are you planning to cover? If you want a small set up, this is what I am running now. If you are able to build an entire set up and want something that will last you a lifetime, buy a Rainbird/Hunter lawn style watering system, as their valves are easily rebuildable and once you install it, all you will need to do is update/upgrade your end items. You can run a single 1" PVC to the valves and 3/4" to each zone, then attach the 1/2" poly to the end of the 3/4" pvc and run your drippers/spitters/emmiters or whatever you are going to use to deliver the water.

I don't have full pics of my set up, but you can see some of the spitters and 1/2" poly line branching into the 1/8" poly to feed the spitters. Advantage of the system I use is that you don't need any barb connectors. Just make the 1/8" hole with the punch they sell and push the 1/8" line in. The poly will constrict the smaller line but won't prevent water flow at all. When you remove a plant, just turn the spitter around and insert in the line to plug it until you need it again.

1680192302726.jpeg

1680192153065.jpeg

1680192192792.jpeg

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use an Orbit b-hyve timer and have had good success with tests and actual use. They’re a bit pricey but the ability to check in remotely is cool. Combined with a camera I never have any worries when we’re out of town.

Edit: I use a single zone timer but know they have four zone units

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks great Uncle!
What time should I pick you up at your friend house tomorrow and what parts do I need?
I am not done with my system yet. Progress so far.
  1. Got a 4 outlet B-hyve Orbit timer. Jury is still out on it as far as reliability. I might get a B-hyve hub later to connect to WiFi.
  2. Zone 1: A 200 ft run of 1/2" distribution line around the fence with flow controlled drip line to each large BC and Mayhaw. Will add some lines to the grow bed this morning. Zone 1 is set for watering every 3 hrs for 3 minutes.
  3. Zone 2: 80 ft run of 1/2" distribution line to my center of yard with flow controlled drip line to each bonsai. Zone 2 is set for watering every 3 hrs for 2 minutes.
  4. To be done today: 20 ft run of 1/2" distribution line to my back porch with flow controlled drip line to each bonsai. Zone 3 is watering every 6 hrs for 3 minutes.
  5. To be done later: Zone 4 misting system.
  6. Trials for adjustments of time and duration of watering.
Things I learned the hard way: I procrastinated until the last days and wound up buying half of my stuff from Lowes/HomeDepot instead of distributors/Amazon. That a 33% cost increase.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Discovery 1: Not enough water pressure for my long fence run. I had to split it to 2 zones.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Got a 4 outlet B-hyve Orbit timer. Jury is still out on it as far as reliability. I might get a B-hyve hub later to connect to WiFi.
This is definitely worth it. I had connectivity trouble before I got the Wi-Fi hub. Now with a camera and the Wi-Fi connectivity I can water from anywhere, not as ideal as hand watering but certainly works when you’re traveling

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What emitters are you using? and how many trees you have on that zone.
30 heavy water use BCs had too much demand. I suppose it is OK after adjustment but I was in a hurry to get out of town.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wound up with two 4 outlet Orbit Hyve XD hose timers connected to one BHyve hub. The connection strength of the BHyve hub isn't all that great so I had to play with locations of the hub in the house in order to connect to the hose timers, which are at different sides of the house.

Tubing wise I've used 200 ft of 1/2" and 500 ft of 1/4". 6 of the 8 zones are set up. For each zone I programmed the timers to start between 1 to 3 times a day depending on location and species. I don't have the camera set up to check the tree closely. The camera that I have just allows me to have a general look and decide whether or not what zone needs more water.

I used a variety of sprayers and emitters. Some are salvaged from past projects, some are new. My favorite are the Carpathen 100 emitters /sprayers kit I bought on Amazon. They are cheap and effective for me.

I discovered that the NiMH batteries are not suitable for hose timers. At the latter part of the battery life, the timer struggles to operate the valve. Since now I have read the battery life on my phone app, I switched to rechargeable Lithium batteries. The voltage stays at the right level much longer and the timers operate well with Li rechargeable batteries. Now my hose timers will have to compete with my guitars for rechargeable batteries :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom