Clay Extruders

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I nearly tagged this onto another thread but didn't want to muddy things up. I had a used Brent Pro Extruder HD at one time but gave it up because I didn't really use it. Now with all of the potters here using extruders, I find that I am considering one again. Used ones are scarcer than hens teeth so I am looking at new ones and find they are running about $800+ with shipping and wait time is a few months. I just can't handle the dollars now because I have not been able to make any pottery for nearly 3 months because of a shoulder injury ( sorry to go on about this but there are always new people coming and going that have no idea) The wait time is not critical because I can't operate one right now anyway.
I was looking around and found this on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294580758858?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
It looks like a good unit and price is friggin awesome. Does anyone have experience with this unit, or even an opinion.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used an extruder exactly once, so don't trust anything I say. Appears to be this guy: https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/SCOTT-CREEK-5-CLAY-EXTRUDER-p/sce5.htm

They seem to be really simple devices. You're just pushing clay through a hole with a lever to help out. So if I were buying one I'd buy the cheapest thing I could find and be pretty confident it would suffice. Just not a lot to break or go wrong imho.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used an extruder exactly once, so don't trust anything I say. Appears to be this guy: https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/SCOTT-CREEK-5-CLAY-EXTRUDER-p/sce5.htm

They seem to be really simple devices. You're just pushing clay through a hole with a lever to help out. So if I were buying one I'd buy the cheapest thing I could find and be pretty confident it would suffice. Just not a lot to break or go wrong imho.
It is definitely not the same person or extruder but I agree they are all basically similar. If it was a piece of equipment with lots of moving parts I would buy Brent because of service, availability, and performance. But I tend to agree with you. If I was using one frequently I would still go with Brent, but I think the unit I am looking at will suffice for my leisurely pace and save me $500 over the Brent. The Sheffield unit inhabits the middle ground.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Neat!

I've used similar technology for Meat, Decorative Concrete, and potatoes.

It's a "simple machine"...

Interesting.

I bet the metal fab guy I know could make one... If I provide the metal.. it'd be damn near free...
It wouldn't be.. "The same"...

But if it worked well...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@penumbra did you have a look on aliexpress?

You might be able to find a knock off a lot cheaper there......but you always get what you pay for ;)

I've order from there in the past. If you are willing to wait for the shipping its not all that bad.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never even heard of the place you referenced. The one on eBay is made buy this guy in Canada and it is a darn good deal.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have never even heard of the place you referenced. The one on eBay is made buy this guy in Canada and it is a darn good deal.
Google... Aliexpress the website will pop up. All kinds of stuff on there.

The one from Canada looks good, but the handle to me looks a little on the this side.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Google... Aliexpress the website will pop up. All kinds of stuff on there.

The one from Canada looks good, but the handle to me looks a little on the this side.
Thanks for feedback. Still looking but still cash poor.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you ever get this extruder?
I have not. If I could work clay now I would have but that is a few months away, possibly more. There is another on eBay right now that is a stainless steel Chinese knockoff that looks pretty solid that is selling for about $160. After Dave's class you are going to need one. Hope you guys have fun.
My wife and I am doing my best to empty my parents house before my surgery. It may be listed by about the time I am under the knife.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have not. If I could work clay now I would have but that is a few months away, possibly more. There is another on eBay right now that is a stainless steel Chinese knockoff that looks pretty solid that is selling for about $160. After Dave's class you are going to need one. Hope you guys have fun.
My wife and I am doing my best to empty my parents house before my surgery. It may be listed by about the time I am under the knife.
I'm going to see if I can find it on the E of Bay.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My thoughts, as always, are vibrating Golden And Blue Arrows headed for your life, friend.

You have a surgery date?

I must've missed that.

Good Luck, friend!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to see if I can find it on the E of Bay.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

The SS one looks rinky dink compared to the grey Canadian one.

I have my TIG welder up and running now. If I had access to some steel cut offs I could weld one up myself. It might be a cheaper more customizable solution.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am also leaning toward the Canadian one over the Chinese one, but there is much to be said for stainless.
I would never attempt making one until I used one. Maybe after the workshop you will have the knowledge you need to move forward. But I know for me, if I include my time, it would be a lot cheaper (and less frustrating) to buy one than to make one. You gotta pick your battles.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am also leaning toward the Canadian one over the Chinese one, but there is much to be said for stainless.
I would never attempt making one until I used one. Maybe after the workshop you will have the knowledge you need to move forward. But I know for me, if I include my time, it would be a lot cheaper (and less frustrating) to buy one than to make one. You gotta pick your battles.
Yeah, I'm going to look over Dave's to get some ideas. From what I see on the extruders it's a simple design and build. You just need the machines, materials, and the time to make it......I have two of the three mentioned.

I do agree with you, sometimes it's just easier to buy it and be done with it. In my case I know what I know from doing it first hand, i'm always willing to learn something new 😁.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I'm going to look over Dave's to get some ideas. From what I see on the extruders it's a simple design and build. You just need the machines, materials, and the time to make it......I have two of the three mentioned.

I do agree with you, sometimes it's just easier to buy it and be done with it. In my case I know what I know from doing it first hand, i'm always willing to learn something new 😁.
I understand. You are quite remarkable. What you have accomplished with a toy pottery wheel is absolutely astounding.

Pyewacket

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@penumbra If you are still in the market there was one on the For Sale forums on ceramicartsdaily with a whole slew of dies recently. From North Star I think.

It also isn't too hard to make one out of some pipe and a car jack, as I recall. I used to have the plans somewhere but I bet they're online. Making the dies does require a little different skill set.

Top Bottom