Clay & Granite Pots, etc.

Reaction score
I am curious, what are the best kind of natural material pots are best for keeping a large collection of trees and shrubs outside? I have so far seen clay and granite pots. I am guessing granite pots are nicer than clay post, is this correct? If so, is there any kind of pot which is nicer than a granite pot? What type of natural pot is the 'nicest'?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Actually, "nice" is like asking someone to define "Art". Bonsai is Art. The choice of pot is an artistic choice. The pot should serve to lift and separate the tree from the stand it is on, yet it sets the stage for the tree. A wide shallow pot represents a field, a oval that is a little deeper would represent a hill. A rustic cresent can represent the side of a mountain. Fine ceramic clay pots are very diverse in styles, finishes and glazes.

I've seen very few carved granite pots. I don't think there is as great a diversity nor ease of availability in carved granite or carved stone pots. But if you encounter a carved granite pot that meets the artistic requirements of your tree, by all means use it.

Pairing a tree with a container is an important part of Bonsai, whether it is a ceramic pot, a carved stone pot, or a stone slab, or the various simulated slabs from man made materials, as long as the pairing meets the artistic goals, all is fair.

Reaction score
I truly appreciate all of the guidance you have provided! That's really fascinating about the various representations of the various pot dimensions! I will save this post and keep it all in mind as I work further towards the artistic representation of my Bonsai.

However, I think I was a bit unclear. I am referring more to the general horticulture of the trees. I have a good number of trees I am growing in plastic pots. I am not seeking to present them in Bonsai pots yet. It's just I would like to switch over to white clay or granite pots, or something else that might be better. I think my mother would be happier if I had my plants in nicer pots, white pots to match the giant fancy pots in our yard.

So I am wondering, again, to you, as I'm sure you'll know, and everyone, from a general horticultural method perspective, as far as the pot's performance, with respect to moisture transmission, etc., and general quality, would you recommend clay, or granite, or basalt, or something else along these lines?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As far as training pots, I don’t think you’re going to find many granite pots. The typical options are basically plastic, ceramic, terra cotta, wood, or fabric grow pouches. I’ve never really seen a granite or basalt “pot”, those would come more in the form of slabs typically.

I like to use terra cotta training pots. I feel that they provide better moisture conditions than plastic, aren’t black, and to me they look a little nicer than plastic. Wood boxes are also a good option.

Hope this helps!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As far as training pots, I don’t think you’re going to find many granite pots. The typical options are basically plastic, ceramic, terra cotta, wood, or fabric grow pouches. I’ve never really seen a granite or basalt “pot”, those would come more in the form of slabs typically.

I like to use terra cotta training pots. I feel that they provide better moisture conditions than plastic, aren’t black, and to me they look a little nicer than plastic. Wood boxes are also a good option.

Hope this helps!

Finding semi low terra cotta pots is a challenge. Around here it seems nurseries only stock deep pots.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Granite products is a significant part of the economy around here in Colorado, but outside of countertops and grave stones you really won't find much. It's difficult to work fine textures into, and when left to the elements won't retain them long, so it's ot favored for sculpture. As hard as it is, it's very porous, so when used as a pot will likely suffer significant damage from freez/thaw cycles over winter. This all makes it a poor choice for pots.

Basalt more homogeneous, so less porous and prone to weathering, but finding large enough chunks of pure basalt, without any other materials in it, to make a sizable pot is rare. Still will suffer from the moisture retention and freeze damage, though.

Marble beats almost anything in stone if you're looking for something like a pot. Less porous, fairly homogeneous, very hard. It's moisture retention is much lower than other stones, but not low enough.

All of the above options would be VERY expensive.

There's a reason ceramic pots are the standard. High fired ceramic is almost completely homogeneous, and very dense and strong. You can make a lighter pot with less material that will stand up better to weathering.

If you're going for quality that's cheap, can be made good looking, and will last long enough for a tree to earn a nicer pot, cement is your best option. Only drawbacks are with holding fine textures if sculpted, and weight, but these are similar problems you'd have with stone, only for pennies on the dollar.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Finding semi low terra cotta pots is a challenge. Around here it seems nurseries only stock deep pots.
We have a landscape nursery nearby that stocks good ones up to about 12” diameter or so and only about 4” deep, perfect for transitioning to a bonsai pot!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you're ready for a display pot you can create them using interesting stones - granite, red stone, whatever. If the stone has the character you want, you can create a growing pocket. Use an angle grinder with a diamond blade. Cut a series of parallel grooves that define your grow pocket. Break the stone between the grooves with a chisel. Use a concrete bit and drill holes for drainage. It's a fair amount of work. Be sure to use eye protection, good gloves and a dust mask. Face shield couldn't hurt.

I've done this many times. Loved the look of the pots and trees did well in them. Ultimately, they were just too heavy for me to handle as I got older.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Try candle stores! I found a fair share of low terra cotta clay bowls with candles in them. Sometimes they're called torches or something.
Removing the wax can be a problem, try to do it straight away or melt it in a hot water bath. If you burn the candles up, it could crack the bowl and the clay will suck up the wax.
Citronella wax is softer, so try to avoid those.

Stuff like this:

8720196183197.jpg
For 3 dollars a piece it's a good training pot. Considering bonsai store pots of similar size are about 6-12 dollars over here.

Top Bottom