CLEANING and OILING the POT???

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
IzzAT how some folks have such snappy lookin pots?
Mine are all grungy after a few years.

You can really clean and OIL the pots?

What kinda oil?
o_O

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Any kind will do. I've used veggie oil, WD-40, and mineral oil. Cleaning and oiling the pots on a regular basis will keep the pots looking good while preventing calcium deposits and will also help patina to develop.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Of course, some of us have a "display pot" for our best trees and an "on-the-shelf pot" for the rest of the time.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Might Hoppe's gun oil work? I love the smell Yee haw! After cleaning the Sig Sauer I could head over to the pots.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I read somewhere that you can put a couple of walnuts in an old sock and smash them up with a hammer. The sock with the smashed up walnut can then be used to clean / oil the pot.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I read somewhere that you can put a couple of walnuts in an old sock and smash them up with a hammer. The sock with the smashed up walnut can then be used to clean / oil the pot.
Queue up the "nut sack" jokes...

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Queue up the "nut sack" jokes...
wait--that's a joke? You mean I've been rubbing my crotch with pots for all this time for nothing? I thought patina came from...well, never mind.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Should you use Pine Oil for pines?
Eucalyptus oil for.....
Olive oil for....
Maple syrup for....

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wait a minute... How are you guys pronouncing "patina"? I feel 12 yo once again.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeanluc,

I learned the smashing walnuts in a sock method from Boon. It actually works better than using cooking walnut oil for some reason. I think because less gets applied, so the pot doesn't look "wet". It just brings out the color.

Do it about a week before the show.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Jeanluc,

I learned the smashing walnuts in a sock method from Boon. It actually works better than using cooking walnut oil for some reason. I think because less gets applied, so the pot doesn't look "wet". It just brings out the color.

Do it about a week before the show.

Probably because the sock takes it closer to "scrubbing pad."
It sounds good to me.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait a minute... How are you guys pronouncing "patina"? I feel 12 yo once again.
I remember when I was twelve and went to my first by boy/girl dance. There was a girl named Patina. ....wow, memories. I can't look at a dirty pot without thinking about that night...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Silicon spray is the best, the easiest and the cheapest.

That works perfect, 2.00USD in the camping section of WalMart. If the pot has heavy white deposits on it soak it in Vinegar overnight, wipe and rinse with a rough cloth and dry it before the Silicone.

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a reply to the post about the sock being used as a scouring pad:

Not really. Using nuts rather than liquid oil means less goes on.

Using liquid walnut oil, and I've done it, usually puts too much on. Which gives it a "wet" look. Rather than a deep full bodied color, with a bit of matt brightness. Which using the pounded walnut meats in the sock does.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember when I was twelve and went to my first by boy/girl dance. There was a girl named Patina. ....wow, memories. I can't look at a dirty pot without thinking about that night...
And we all know how much you like looking at dirty pots!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
wait--that's a joke? You mean I've been rubbing my crotch with pots for all this time for nothing? I thought patina came from...well, never mind.
Just to recap: You been "rubbing pots on your nuts to GET OFF the patina"?

Buncha sickos on this site... Come on people, let's try to keep this PG 13 at least ok? Some of the pot cleaning tactics are very NC17...

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

You've been doing it wrong. Didn't you even read my post. You need to take a hammer and smash... :confused:

I learned the smashing walnuts in a sock method from Boon.

Thanks. I think I read it in Jonas' blog so that would make sense.

Top Bottom