cleaning pots

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think I've tried several different methods but none to my likeing. This morning on the encouragement from a friend, I tried the product CLR. 50-50% with water and soaked a pretty nasty but favorite pot for 2 minutes ( per dirctions) before cleaning it off in the clean water.
I dried it off with a towel and waited for it to dry to make sure no residual. There was some. So I put it right back in. repeated and it was a little better but you could still see the white stain.
It does a good job on glazed pots, it's unglazed where it still left something to be desired.
I'll soak it more often to see if it does any better. But I wanted to share what i had learned.
There's a nasty looking used pot for re-sale by an artist i collect and i wanted to see if this product worked before I bought.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dick,

Where you have residuals...just wipe/brush on full strength CLR (using an old toothbrush). Repeat as needed. Bubbling is a good indicator that the stuff is working.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does it need to be soaked in water for a while after to make sure the chemical is out? Not knowing what's in it, I would be worried about residual chemical burning roots. Thoughts?

V

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
got my thoothbrush ready and will soak it good afterwards.

takes a villiage :)

Oregato!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Funny how you are trying to scrub off the 'patina', that the japanese try so hard to add.... lol

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing as Victrinia concerning the roots. This CLR.. Lime, Calcium and Rust remover might have some thing roots do not like. In the commercial, they use it to clean coffee pots. However, coffee pots are not pourous. I think that no matter how hard you try, you might not be able to get the full residue out. Well, not without multiple rinses, soaks and then letting the pot sit in the sun for a week. I guess if it is non toxic, it wouldn't matter though.

Rob

Last edited:

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
hey dick

try using med/coarse tool cleaning blocks. I just cleaned some badly stained/calcified glazed pots. tried a bunch of methods. hands down, this is the answer. look*like new. see pot forum

best wishes, sam

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Bought a few pots from a european potter this past year. Amazing pots but they have a slightly white chalky cast to them when dry, I think it's just part of his glaze. Tried pretty much everything out there to remove it but nothing worked for me. Figured i'd just leave it and use camelia oil when using the pots for a show.

That said I tested most things and methods out there on old broken pots including different types of acid. The best product I found was Creanmate from a japanese ebay seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Japanes...109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232b088195 Takes off pretty much anything on a pot and leaves a nice finish. Also does amazing things for removing rust from tools!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I usually have good luck soaking pots in a strong Vinegar solution and scrubbing them daily with an old towel. After 2-3 days I finish the cracks and such with a toothbrush. It does allow the removal of the calcification and provide a super good bath that removes all types of bacteria. :D

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I merely use a Dremel and a fiber (NOT WIRE) brush. Works great.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a sanding block on unglazed pots, which can be a lot of work.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What's on these pots that requires so much cleaning? Maybe I'm lucky with the water quality here, but I've not had these problems with buildup.

Julius Tristan

Seedling
Reaction score
I think I've tried several different methods but none to my likeing. This morning on the encouragement from a friend, I tried the product CLR. 50-50% with water and soaked a pretty nasty but favorite pot for 2 minutes ( per dirctions) before cleaning it off in the clean water.
I dried it off with a towel and waited for it to dry to make sure no residual. There was some. So I put it right back in. repeated and it was a little better but you could still see the white stain.
It does a good job on glazed pots, it's unglazed where it still left something to be desired.
I'll soak it more often to see if it does any better. But I wanted to share what i had learned.
There's a nasty looking used pot for re-sale by an artist i collect and i wanted to see if this product worked before I bought.
Sorry for my ignorance about this matter, But I am welling to learn some simple methods regarding in this matter. I am hoping that there can be give me some specific details about this.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
should have taken before and after photos. The unglazed pot in question was literally covered with white scale on most of the outside.a fter repeated soakings and scrubbing with a tooth brush, all of it was eliminated but a few spots on the top and bottom rim.

I collect local artist sharon muth. the pot was dated 1976.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I usually have good luck soaking pots in a strong Vinegar solution and scrubbing them daily with an old towel. After 2-3 days I finish the cracks and such with a toothbrush. It does allow the removal of the calcification and provide a super good bath that removes all types of bacteria. :D

Would the vinegar be as well okay on plastic pots to disinfect? I know I use it in our reptile's cages and water areas. My MIL uses a diluted vinegar to disinfect her breathing machine tubes. I would imagine since she does...that it would also be safe on plastic pots...removing any bacteria along the way...right?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would the vinegar be as well okay on plastic pots to disinfect? I know I use it in our reptile's cages and water areas. My MIL uses a diluted vinegar to disinfect her breathing machine tubes. I would imagine since she does...that it would also be safe on plastic pots...removing any bacteria along the way...right?

One part vinegar to 3 parts water is what the FDA suggests to use on cooking surfaces to disinfect. I use it on all our plant pots plastic, glazed, ceramic, and it seems to work just fine with no visible damage. We use the same in our Tortoise table, baking area, and kitchen counters.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Grimmy...I actually soak the snakes water in straight vinegar to remove hard water stains. No staining...just was worried about full strength and it effecting the plants roots. I'll dilute it. Thanks again.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dick, I use full strength CLR and scrub while wet with scotch brite. Rinse and repeat if needed.

Victrinia, you make me chuckle! :) Patina.

Top Bottom