Cleaning Pots

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up this pot for a good price, and I really love the subtle painting on it. I have never had a white pot before, so I am unsure if those hard water stains are desirable, or should be removed? It isn’t dark patina like you would see on other pots. If it does need to be removed, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 387B0A54-D748-405D-9866-4C3D527288DF.jpeg
    387B0A54-D748-405D-9866-4C3D527288DF.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 69
  • C5939802-6601-4722-B045-39F22016AF82.jpeg
    C5939802-6601-4722-B045-39F22016AF82.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 69

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
“As is“ would be preferred by me. I think if you clean it all up it will just look to fresh and pristine. It will lack enticing character. The current coloration gives it character qualities that make it valued and keeps a softer presentation.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
I think it adds age to the pot also, but are iron stains something that’s desirable like patina?
Yes I prefer an aged pot myself. If the pot is brand new I think it takes away for the tree, unless you have a kokufu ten tree on display, I will never have that problem.
If I have a new pot I leave on or under the bench to weather.
But that’s just my preference.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think it adds age to the pot also, but are iron stains something that’s desirable like patina?

Iron stains and hard water stains, if they are bad enough you can see "lines" where the stain starts and stops, that is negative, considered a dirty pot. Subtle staining, and the subtle change in color over time is considered good. So if you are getting the "lines" outlining the edge of the iron stain, like a coffee stain on a napkin or tablecloth, that is too heavy, and an attempt to get the stain to fade is appropriate - the vinegar for hard water, oxalic acid for iron stains.

Otherwise, what I can see from the photo I think the pot is just fine, I'd leave it alone. I have a yellow YiXing pot, that has been used for 15 years, it has gone from pale yellow to a warm medium dark earth colored yellow, that could pass for a brown color. Its now a nice subtle color, no longer a bold distracting color.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have had good luck with just vinegar in the past so I'd give that a shot first. Soak it for a day or two an use a rug to wipe it and see if that works.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Iron stains and hard water stains, if they are bad enough you can see "lines" where the stain starts and stops, that is negative, considered a dirty pot. Subtle staining, and the subtle change in color over time is considered good. So if you are getting the "lines" outlining the edge of the iron stain, like a coffee stain on a napkin or tablecloth, that is too heavy, and an attempt to get the stain to fade is appropriate - the vinegar for hard water, oxalic acid for iron stains.

Otherwise, what I can see from the photo I think the pot is just fine, I'd leave it alone. I have a yellow YiXing pot, that has been used for 15 years, it has gone from pale yellow to a warm medium dark earth colored yellow, that could pass for a brown color. Its now a nice subtle color, no longer a bold distracting color.
I agree. Aged patina is NOT crud, dirt and surface stains. This is not patina. It is a stained pot. The stain is mostly uniform all over the surface of the pot. Patina that is acquired over time is not uniform and is deeper than surface. It is a subtle change in the glaze and surface brought about by handling, sun, watering, etc.

Top Bottom