Cleaning the roots over rock ?

Jyy

Seedling
Reaction score
Need help o clean the rock where JM roots over rock resided. The rock covered with moss and dirt. Tried tooth brush but can not remove all the moss and dirt!! Thanks

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are the roots pretty well barked up?

Try a bit of vinegar diluted 50% with water with that toothbrush.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is it a old ROR bonsai and roots pretty well barked up..
Spray the moss with the vinegar solution, wait a couple days for it to brown and die, then try the toothbrush again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard to tell what's happening here, but none of it sounds good!

Cleaning Rocks, Roots, or Roots over Rocks, or Rocks that were under roots?

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A photo would offer a good understanding. When I use vinegar to kill moss on the surface of a tree and trunk. I protect my roots. I don't know if I would spray it on the root system personally. Without seeing a photo of the ROR. They use chopsticks to clean the soil compacted inside a Neagari project. I've taken a toothbrush and gently put vinegar on my one exposed root. Never spraying it though. Always being under control of the vinegar I apply. Using a toothbrush. Or even an artist's paint brush to apply. But never spraying my roots.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A photo would offer a good understanding. When I use vinegar to kill moss on the surface of a tree and trunk. I protect my roots. I don't know if I would spray it on the root system personally. Without seeing a photo of the ROR. They use chopsticks to clean the soil compacted inside a Neagari project. I've taken a toothbrush and gently put vinegar on my one exposed root. Never spraying it though. Always being under control of the vinegar I apply. Using a toothbrush. Or even an artist's paint brush to apply. But never spraying my roots.
^ listen to her over me ;)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
50% vinegar is a herbicide.

Attachments

• PLANTS and Vinegar use 17 Amazing ways.pdf
    212 KB · Views: 4

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
50% vinegar is a herbicide.
Which is why it is usefull battling moss and algea.
Just do not put it on the foliage an non-barked roots.

Personally, I use street-cleaner formula (Check whether it is safe to use on pathways along plants)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Vinegar will kill the moss but needs to be repeated at least a couple of times per year. Spraying vinegar on exposed roots is exactly the same as spraying vinegar on branches or trunks. When roots are exposed to the air they form bark just like trunk and branches. I try to avoid spraying foliage when using vinegar but inevitably some will get on leaves. I have yet to see any leaf damage from the vinegar.

Top Bottom