Clear Pots to see root growth/Idea?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want to thank you for your comments they all guided me along the way. Every comment was heard which made this little project an enjoyable experiment. I had to curve the perfectionist in me and let things flow as I have almost no pot making experience or Bonsai. I ended up researching a bit and read some published scientific writings on root growth, which I enjoyed. As Bonsaidave mentioned roots in fact do grow away from sunlight as roots sense Sunlight and Gravity as well. I'm sure much room for design improvement and aesthetics can be accomplished. But for now, I think I need to get my first Bonsai since I now have a pot for one. I'm looking at this pot as good start. In time I'll secure inert cast acrylic to the pot and then start looking for small tree. I only made room for 2'' depth soil, so perhaps next time I should make taller. The feet and labels are low so the bottom should see very little light and be good. The holes for drain are 1.5mm and holes for tie wire is 2.1mm. When I want to check on health, I can lift pot up and look below. I call this clear bottom pot. Enjoy the photos and please understand I have very little knowledge of Bonsai and tradition. I only read one book. So take no offense please. If something bothers you then tell me so I do not do it again.
That is very nice work, I like it a lot. Sometimes pots are a piece of art all by themselves, this is one of those. I enjoyed looking at it without a tree even in it.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I want to thank you for your comments they all guided me along the way. Every comment was heard which made this little project an enjoyable experiment. I had to curve the perfectionist in me and let things flow as I have almost no pot making experience or Bonsai. I ended up researching a bit and read some published scientific writings on root growth, which I enjoyed. As Bonsaidave mentioned roots in fact do grow away from sunlight as roots sense Sunlight and Gravity as well. I'm sure much room for design improvement and aesthetics can be accomplished. But for now, I think I need to get my first Bonsai since I now have a pot for one. I'm looking at this pot as good start. In time I'll secure inert cast acrylic to the pot and then start looking for small tree. I only made room for 2'' depth soil, so perhaps next time I should make taller. The feet and labels are low so the bottom should see very little light and be good. The holes for drain are 1.5mm and holes for tie wire is 2.1mm. When I want to check on health, I can lift pot up and look below. I call this clear bottom pot. Enjoy the photos and please understand I have very little knowledge of Bonsai and tradition. I only read one book. So take no offense please. If something bothers you then tell me so I do not do it again.
You've got science in your art. I like the engineering of your approach.

I have some fairly clear cheap plastic "pots" that I picked up last year. I was going to spray paint them, but if I do that now I will only do the sides and leave the bottoms clear.

Top Bottom