Clearing Inventory

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey all, With the economy starting to show signs of life we've decided to make the jump to a new retail space. I'm starting to clear some inventory to make the move. Below are some links to items we threw up on ebay to get it started. Will post more as we decided on how much the heard gets thinned. Some of the items are rough styling to more refined trees. As anything in life (except death and taxes) prices are negotiable. Hope this helps anyone looking.

Cork Bark Elm

Deadwood Yew

Yew Cascade

Yew Semi Cascade

Japanese Yew with Deadwood

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom - very nice trees. One thing I might suggest is adding dimensions to your trees in your ads.

Hope the move to the new location works out well :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Funny you say that....I got a couple emails saying the same and figured people weren't reading the entire description....thing is, I do have the dimensions up, so my question is are you not seeing the second paragraph that says:

example:
This composition measures 22" tall (top to bottom) from soil line to end of foliage, the over all width is 12" wide, nebari is 4.5 inches.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny you say that....I got a couple emails saying the same and figured people weren't reading the entire description....thing is, I do have the dimensions up, so my question is are you not seeing the second paragraph that says:

example:

Hi Tom - there is no second paragraph when I access your ads. Maybe it's a browser issue?

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I do not see a second paragraph either and i checked with 2 different browsers.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thats exactly what it is!!!!!! I can see it in Firefox...but IE...I see the add as you described without the second paragraph..............I so dislike IE, haven't used in in eons.

Anyone run into this before and know of a fix?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm using a Mac and can't see it in Safari either.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just for the record, i can read it in firefox.
p
iwish i had some disposable cash

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks to me like you've got some formatting code in your listing that is causing the problem. Maybe you copy/pasted it from Microsoft Word? It adds a lot of that without really needing to. I don't do a lot of eBay listings, but I would try copying/pasting into Notepad, then into eBay. It's going to remove all the formatting (bold, centering, etc.), but everything would show up. You could also try typing and formatting your listing text in Google Docs then pasting into eBay, which should output safer code. I'm really surprised eBay doesn't filter these for you, so that it would be impossible for that to happen.

By the way, great trees, good luck with the auction!

Last edited:

radsnell

Sapling
Reaction score
Do you know if the yew can thrive in south Louisiana, zone 9?

Boyd

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score

Boyd

Boyd I live in Castroville, Tx....Mine are doing great here once I removed all the Pa clay from the roots they exploded in growth....Shade and lots of water!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks to me like you've got some formatting code in your listing that is causing the problem. Maybe you copy/pasted it from Microsoft Word? It adds a lot of that without really needing to. I don't do a lot of eBay listings, but I would try copying/pasting into Notepad, then into eBay. It's going to remove all the formatting (bold, centering, etc.), but everything would show up. You could also try typing and formatting your listing text in Google Docs then pasting into eBay, which should output safer code. I'm really surprised eBay doesn't filter these for you, so that it would be impossible for that to happen.

By the way, great trees, good luck with the auction!

Subnet thanks for the advise...will try it if and when they ever let me in to revise my items.....BTW, didn't use Word, typed the first item straight in, then used the sell similar option.......did I mention that ebay can be a most frustrating experience. :eek:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Boyd

Hi Boyd, Yes they do survive in Louisiana. Have sold several to customers as far south as Oakdale.

BTW: These trees have all been bare rooted....the "PA clay" Irene speaks off is from a project some years back where I experimented with collecting Yews and shipping them to customers with them receiving the material with in three days of collection. These were shipped with original root ball intact. The idea was that the customer shared the first year risk of a newly collected tree...hence the price was dramatically reduced (up to 80%).

It was a successful experiment from a horticultural stand point. All the trees shipped to the best of my knowledge are still a live and kicking. It also helped expose customers to yews as material. It was not so successful when it came to people relating that experiment, I lost business when they said "once I removed the clay" leaving out the details why they had the clay in the first place. Put a bad light on how I offer trees.....lesson learned

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the red clay:

I got a yew this past May in a workshop at the Potomac Bonsai Association festival at the National Arboretum. I think it was from the same defunct nursery in Pennsylvania, and was in that heavy red clay and looked a bit weak. Because it was in the heavy red clay in a plastic tray with tiny pinhole drain holes, I ended up taking the chance of repotting it because the combination of the clay plus the container seemed to be asking for trouble. I fully removed all the clay and repotted it in 100% inorganic mix in a taller nursery can with extra drainage holes cut out, only cutting one thick dead root to get it to fit. I water daily, fertilize weekly, and have it in a sunny spot.

The yew apparently loves what I did, because it has exploded with a ton of new growth this year, and I have roots trying to grow through the bottom of the can already. In general, I've had better luck with field dug trees and yamadori collected trees when the native soil was removed sooner rather than later.

One thing about yews - the leaves are toxic. So, it's worth being careful where you work on a yew if you have children or pets.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hi Tom,
I have been admiring your yews for sale on ebay. Do you ship to California? Would they survey a journey from coast to coast? Thanks for your time.

Art

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Art,

Yes, and Yes.....I have shipped to northern California...However it needs to be shipped UPS 3 day select at a minimum. All the trees I send are packed in a mini-green house (for lack of a better word) to retain moisture. Have never ever had a death from shipping due to the precautions I take and knowing that stuff happens in transit (example..had a tree shipped to a customer in Texas....he forgot to tell me that his address had changed to Georgia were it eventually ended up). The tree was in transit for 10 days...it arrived healthy and happy...though I was a basket case :eek:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Subnet thanks for the advise...will try it if and when they ever let me in to revise my items.....BTW, didn't use Word, typed the first item straight in, then used the sell similar option.......did I mention that ebay can be a most frustrating experience. :eek:

Speaking of ebay, I don't go there often, but what is up with that expensive CRAP that's been there for months ????

keep it green,
Harry

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Best I can tell Harry they have what is called an unlimited listing...won't go away till they take it down or they suck someone in

Top Bottom