Clethra repotting question

snazzy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got into bonsai last year and prior to lockdown picked up a Ruby Spice clethra bonsai. It severely needs a repot, but last year it only started to leaf out around mid-april. Is there any problem with doing a repot at the end of february like with normal repotting? Or should I wait for it to come closer to the leaf-out date?

Also does anyone have any general information on clethra bonsai care? It seems like a very uncommon species for bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a few of those in my landscape. They smell so lovely in bloom. Most deciduous trees are repotted when you see buds swell. You don't have your location filled out for your profile. Once root work or the tree wakes...it will need protection from frost and freezing temps.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tells when the ideal time to prune is. Which will be handy for you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

snazzy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This tells when the ideal time to prune is. Which will be handy for you.

Thank you so much for this link! Also I updated my profile information :)

So I guess just to make sure I'm fully understanding, it would be alright to cut back on some of the longer branches around now-ish so that the new growth gives a tighter profile? Last year the growth was super long and went straight upwards and I wasn't sure how to manage that.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are from North Carolina...I would imagine your harshest winter is through...yes? If so...I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I see such cold I don't prune mine until spring. Mine is also in the landscape. I do believe the late winter suggested may...be for more Southern locations. A lot of factors. Where does it winter...and is your coldest cold...done for your location do you think?

Top Bottom