Clicio's 6 year JBP contest entry

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Get at least 30 before you try the root choppy thingee, please.
Anthony

Well... From the second batch, I did the "root choppy thing" to a few chosen ones. So far so good, they didn't die. All the others are uncut, and growing well.

One of the cuttings below:

989b7ece-d257-435c-a4a0-181361edd29d.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Update on some of my seedlings:
As strange as it seems, the three examples below show different results so far:

From left to right, the first one was left in dappled sun, protected from heavy summer rains. Its a future double trunk and it is the biggest of the three examples.
The middle one was left in full sun and full rain, and it is the smallest of the bunch, but the stem looks harder, woody. Same color as the first one.
The third one on the right side was cut (tap root) and left in the same conditions as the double trunk; the color is way lighter but it has needles all over, very low on the stem.
I can't explain the differences, does anyone could help? Isn't the full sun-full rain-no cutting supposed to be the strongest one?

JBPs.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
September 15th 2020
Well, Spring has arrived and the pines are waking up!
View attachment 329255
Lookin’ good.
What is your winter storage solution?
With my small collection( and lots of indoor time) I am going the refridgerator route this season in a couple mnths.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Lookin’ good.
What is your winter storage solution?
With my small collection( and lots of indoor time) I am going the refrigerator route this season in a couple months.

Well, up to now they are 100% of the time outdoors.
Winter here this year was very dry, but by watering properly I had no issues.
The only pine that needs fridge time in Sao Paulo is the Japanese White Pine, black and red pines do very well with our climate.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Little update on my JBP for the contest:

The twin trunk is growing twice as fast as the bent one.
On the small one the taproot was cut very early, but I don't think that is the reason it is not growing.
Perhaps a up-potting will help?

20201026_161225.jpg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Little update on my JBP for the contest:

The twin trunk is growing twice as fast as the bent one.
On the small one the taproot was cut very early, but I don't think that is the reason it is not growing.
Perhaps a up-potting will help?

I think the size of the pot is OK for the size of the tree, I wouldn't "up-pot" now, just water and fertiliser and sun ... lots of sun ... should see this take off. From what I see it looks to be healthy enough. Keep at it!
🍺

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I think the size of the pot is OK for the size of the tree, I wouldn't "up-pot" now, just water and fertiliser and sun ... lots of sun ... should see this take off. From what I see it looks to be healthy enough. Keep at it!
🍺
Yes, let's see.
Both share the same spot on the bench, so it's the same sun for them.
But they are brothers, were born on the same day, so the size difference is curious.
;)

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
It's nice to see someone growing in the same climate as me so I can keep track of my progress, thank you!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, they are still growing, still doing good despite all this rain that is unusual here in the winter.

20210623_081347.jpg
20210623_081443.jpg

Top Bottom