Climate change and bonsai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
A topic little discussed but which we'll all have to deal with soon:

What effects will climate change have on bonsai practice around the world?

The science is unequivocal: the world is warming at an alarming rate, and extreme weather events are becoming more frequent. Within a few decades, large parts of the world (more so closer to the equator, but increasingly so everywhere) will be suffering drought and heat waves with frequency and intensity beyond what humans have experienced thus far.

Trees in tiny pots will suffer in these conditions, and bonsai as we know it will change for all of us. I envisage a shift towards more drought- and heat-resistant species, as water becomes scarcer and summers become intolerable.

Perhaps the ensuing economic recession will prohibit such a hobby entirely.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

The science is unequivocal: the world is warming at an alarming rate, and extreme weather events are becoming more frequent. Within a few decades, large parts of the world (more so closer to the equator, but increasingly so everywhere) will be suffering drought and heat waves with frequency and intensity beyond what humans have experienced thus far.

Trees in tiny pots will suffer in these conditions, and bonsai as we know it will change for all of us. I envisage a shift towards more drought- and heat-resistant species, as water becomes scarcer and summers become intolerable.

Thoughts?
Worms, can, opened. You would think it would be unequivocal evidence, but there are enough people even here that would disagree, for some reason.

I’m not going to get into this massively, but in the short to medium term I can see no real change, in the UK at least. Plants are adaptable, people are adaptable.

I’m not one for financial doom and gloom, there’s more to life than that, but this is generally a hobby that is partaken by those who wont feel a major pinch from a recession anyway.

This, perhaps, isn’t wholly a subject for these troubled times either. We should enjoy these small trees instead of looking for future issues, right now, IMO. Merry Christmas all x

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is a non issue.

I grow olives which are from the mediteranean. A Palmatum which are from Asia. Carpinus which are native. Jabuticaba and raintrees from the tropics.
All of them get similar treatment, just the placement varies.

People use shading, netting and foggers to keep humidity and temps under control.

The few degrees that climate changes is not going to be the key-problem for my trees. I just move things around.

the ensuing economic recession will prohibit such a hobby entirely.
Why? Bonsai does not have to be expensive.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Thoughts?
Not so, there are reporters under every rock ready to report to the whole world a local ~weather~ event like the flooding in England. I'm going to bet that if you check your local history that land which is flooding now has flooded every so many years for as far back as you can go. Weather occurs in cycles of some pretty constant number, like 34 years in my local case. The Army Corps of Engineers in the US manages the waters and publishes a monthly update. The records go back a hundred+ years and the patterns are easy to see. The Corps oversees systems in areas prone to flooding and one-by-one puts devices in place to manage high water to minimize damage. The scale of large storms hasn't changed. People forget history and they don't learn history. The worst hurricanes are in the past, and the new storms don't kill as many people now because they don't sneak up on us anymore, we watch them coming on the news and get the hell out before the tidal surges come.

The only thing unequivocal is the liberal bias of the education systems and media. A good example of the misdirection of public opinion is electric cars. There isn't enough electricity being generated anywhere to support an electric fleet of any size. The grid couldn't distribute enough juice, and batteries are too expensive and operating ranges too short, and there is no road tax paid by electric cars so it just seems cheaper. Over time, a long time, these shortcomings can be overcome, but mandating date certain electric fleets ignores the real cost to society. Mass transit only works in areas of dense population and lots of people don't want to live in those kinds of places. Natural gas is the bridge between coal and the future. Nuclear power would help, but the same people who say no to coal say no to nuclear, no to drilling and no to fracking. What's left, cows? That will have to change. California isn't supplying enough electricity for residents now. How big of a fleet can be added there?

The only thing unequivocal is that free enterprise will develop new systems and sources to supply what people will buy. Governments get in the way, regulate and piss money away. That's what they do, because that's what they're good at.

Reaction score
People can say what they want. There are hundreds of data now and pretty much all show the same. But yeah. All scientist are stupid. You need to understand and differentiate what is a prediction (with a high degree of uncertainty) and what is now a clear and established pattern in historical data.

Attachments

• 5E98DA1A-A7C6-4AD3-994D-0BDE63AB81DB.png
    5E98DA1A-A7C6-4AD3-994D-0BDE63AB81DB.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 61

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For bonsai the effect will be limited. The main things is that I can leave plants outside in winter I wouldn't have fared 20 years ago and there agree more heatwaves so shading and regular watering are important.

Another change will be for the collection of trees in the wild. Distribution of treespecies is changing clearly because of changing climates.

And please keep your political propaganda out of this topic.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool! Another Climate change thread... hope y’all got your knuckles wrapped good and tight.

Hmmm.. THIS spot! *lays down picnic blanket*

*gazes around... judging the room... then.. a lighter’s “click” is heard... a cloud of smoke is witnessed.*

Aaahh.. much better....

Proceed.

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
People can say what they want. There are hundreds of data now and pretty much all show the same. But yeah. All scientist are stupid. You need to understand and differentiate what is a prediction (with a high degree of uncertainty) and what is now a clear and established pattern in historical data.
The climate is changing now, has always changed, and always will be changing. It is never static. "Blame" is a word that is inappropriate to use in discussing the climate, and weather is a function of the world's climate, not affected by local events. The winds aloft have patterns that move substantially and they are greatly, if not entirely, influenced by the sun and the spinning of the earth. Sunspots affect climate and are part of the sun's environment that comes and goes in patterns, too. Mankind can and does screw up the tiny fraction of the atmosphere that we occupy, and the land and water, but the climate is only effected a tiny degree by us. Only people with a grandiose view of mankind's place in the system believe that the earth's climate is subject to our hand. We can't change it even if we try. The world has heated up and cooled down without us and will continue to do so.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, you really need to vent that don't you?
I don't have the energy to go into where you're doing but mostly:

THAT'S NOT THE TOPIC

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The Lake is up ain't it?

I haven't seen it so deep in...ever, and it's not going down!
I've seen models that put all of Illinois and some of the surrounding submerged.

That's what second floors are for!

Fitting to be a need for underwater welders to stilt up these houses to the foundation!

Truth truth....

There is climate change in the news...

And there is climate change where the news, us, and life, doesn't even exist anymore.

Sorce

Reaction score
The climate is changing now, has always changed, and always will be changing. It is never static. "Blame" is a word that is inappropriate to use in discussing the climate, and weather is a function of the world's climate, not affected by local events. The winds aloft have patterns that move substantially and they are greatly, if not entirely, influenced by the sun and the spinning of the earth. Sunspots affect climate and are part of the sun's environment that comes and goes in patterns, too. Mankind can and does screw up the tiny fraction of the atmosphere that we occupy, and the land and water, but the climate is only effected a tiny degree by us. Only people with a grandiose view of mankind's place in the system believe that the earth's climate is subject to our hand. We can't change it even if we try. The world has heated up and cooled down without us and will continue to do so.
I’ll reply with data. The only thing that is not biased

Attachments

• 5CC5BCD6-C02D-448B-9A05-0B817233894E.png
    5CC5BCD6-C02D-448B-9A05-0B817233894E.png
    78 KB · Views: 64

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, you really need to vent that don't you?
I don't have the energy to go into where you're doing but mostly:

THAT'S NOT THE TOPIC
Who are you to tell anyone what is or is not the topic? If you don't like what you see here on this thread, go elsewhere. I disagree that any change in climate occurs on the short time scale of hobbiest's lifespan. Weather cycles happen. Period. If you disagree that weather cycles are involved, please explain why, how, if, when, or whatever, that weather cycles do or do not occur. You do not have the ability to shut anyone up at will. I don't work for you. You can't beat me up. You can't tax, monitor, edit, or otherwise bend me to your will. You are nobody in particular. State your case, support your ideas, attack other ideas with countering evidence or opinion, but don't try to shut other people up because, for one thing, I'll be here to tell you where you can go. Lay on, McBnana...

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some people want to discuss how the changes we are experiencing now affect the bonsai hobby. And yes I experience those changes myself as well. That's an interesting topic.

But a topic like that is not possible here because of climate-denial posts. You make this impossible. I'm not interested in discussing about your talking points, they're the standard list that's been debunked over and over. It's easy enough to find the relevant information yourself, if you're open to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom