• DSC06641.jpg
    DSC06641.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 118

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That last photo seemed...wired. Beautiful tree...Your so blessed to have them locally. Pondering what native tree in my neck of the woods...that has that sort of wow factor that is blooming.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love your bougainvilleas. I don't know much about them. It appears that they could grow roots from large cuttings easily. Is my inference on target?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love your bougainvilleas. I don't know much about them.

Bougainvilleas are not trees, but are instead woody vines. They have nasty thorns :) They are tropical evergreens and are extremely hardy once established, and can put up with a ton of abuse including the dry winds and dry clay soil of Southern California. They can be cut back hard - right down to the roots - and will spring back with aggressive growth. In fact, the main complaint I have about them is the fact that big plants will throw out 6' - 8' of growth each year if you don't constantly maintain them. They have a pretty flower surrounded by colored bracts (that look like flower petals). A very showy vine. They are also extremely easy to propagate from cuttings (like most other vines). (Photo from my front yard about 5 minutes ago)

boug.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
That last photo seemed...wired. Beautiful tree...Your so blessed to have them locally. Pondering what native tree in my neck of the woods...that has that sort of wow factor that is blooming.

you're right, darlene. the title should read - "clip & gro, clip & gro and some wire"

best wishes, sam

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you're right, darlene. the title should read - "clip & gro, clip & gro and some wire"

best wishes, sam

Actually it should read " Grind and Grow ! " Nice trees for vines. ;) I have the Pink Pixie Bouganvillea, no thorns at all.

ed

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Actually it should read " Grind and Grow ! " Nice trees for vines. ;) I have the Pink Pixie Bouganvillea, no thorns at all.

ed

yep, so do I.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC06656.jpg
    DSC06656.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 26

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
yep, so do I.

best wishes, sam

That Bougie is absolutely ridiculous! We are a bit far north to find anything very old. We typically have a dozen or more days below freezing in the Jacksonville area.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bougainvillea

best wishes, sam

I don't "Bougie" up here in mid Atlantic weather however I love your Bougie. Great timeline photos. Thanks for sharing.

James

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I love the first photo of a bunch of stumps on the ground. Talk about cuttings!
1514431_10200875012629635_11366861_n.jpg

Some of my cuttings...He hehe!
I love your bougainvilleas. I don't know much about them. It appears that they could grow roots from large cuttings easily. Is my inference on target?
The trick with fatter cutting is to chop them longer...you can always shorten them later.

best wishes, sam
Sam, I have very bad experience with wood /jin of bougies going soft and rotting. How do you manage to carve them like that and preserve them in the same state?
What is your secret?

Top Bottom