Cloning experiment

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
So I have the grow tent and lights but my success rate is low on cuttings as I appeared to have fried many of them.

Step one raise the light higher obviously.

Now I got interested in this because I rooted JBP in a ziplock bag last season when I threw some 1-2 year old wood into the bags and they rooted against all odds.

I am curious if I can get a larger cutting to root if given incentive.

I have purchased a turboklone system and am trying to purchase all the lil things to get the water conditions correct.

I also probably look like a drug grower because unfortunately most of the hydroponic reading brings you to some drug page.

Even when I ordered stuff the things have names like Bud up and sick buds. I really hate to get a knock at the door over this crap.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I learned recently that cuttings need calcium in the substrate to achieve root elongation. The primary (if not only) source for Ca in inert media comes from the cuttings themselves. As a result, too few cuttings in a flat will create a Ca deficit that leads to poor rooting. Basically, the Ca is getting leached out when too few cuttings are present. I wonder if the closed cells of the cloner can create this issue? If you have enough material, I would stick a flat the old fashion way and see how that compares.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
You managed to grow a JBP 1-2 year old branch from Cutting?
I would be very interested in any info/pictures.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cloning in a machine is easy. You don't need all the extra stuff to do it successfully. Many plants will root in plain tap water with no additives. You can adjust the ph if it is off, but you don't need rooting hormone or anything else to clone. It is easier to clone at cooler temps, so if your air temp is above 75 you will have problems. Only expose a small part of the stem you are cloning to the water, about 1/4 inch. More than that can cause problems. Good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd be interested to see if you can root hardwood larch cuttings which are notoriously difficult. Pictures of your setup ?

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
if I knew where to get larch cuttings I would. sadly I have no larch in my possession.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
if I knew where to get larch cuttings I would. sadly I have no larch in my possession.

You might have problems in your latitude with American Larch Larix Larecina. I have been told by many sources that it will not last below the Latitude South of Toledo Ohio. I have a suspicion that this may not be true. So many people today, when they don't have luck with something; instead of trying to find out what they may be doing wrong, will instantly say you cannot grow that tree in my climate.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You might have problems in your latitude with American Larch Larix Larecina. I have been told by many sources that it will not last below the Latitude South of Toledo Ohio. I have a suspicion that this may not be true. So many people today, when they don't have luck with something; instead of trying to find out what they may be doing wrong, will instantly say you cannot grow that tree in my climate.

There is a collected Larix laricina in the collection at the NC Arboretum in Asheville, NC. As far as I can tell, this is, by far and away, the furthest south a tamarack has been grown and thrived as a bonsai. Asheville is USDA zone 6 and is close to 3000' above sea level...they have a real winter that lasts for several months with relatively consistent cold temps, unlike the majority of the south. Finally, the native range of the tree extends as far south as West Virginia, in the higher elevations of the Appalachians.

Top Bottom