Clorgan's 2020-2025 azalea entry

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Thought I'd give this a go - looks fun!

Azalea santa maria from local garden centre, very cheap (loving all the garden centre reductions right now) and the flowers look lovely 😊

Hard cut done - been wanting to try a mame/shohin so thought this would be a good opportunity! Seen a few people on here have done hard cuts on them recently, so hoping this one will be fine!

Attachments

• 20200622_155935.jpg
    20200622_155935.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200622_171609.jpg
    20200622_171609.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200622_171704.jpg
    20200622_171704.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 105

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks great, Clorgan.

What kind of “band-aid” are you using?

You managed to salvage some structure in there, MUCH UNlike my own ent😂😂😂

If you get a chance to read my entry.. there’s a whole lot of information people gave me (Patiently...Holding my hand... reminding me to START my letters snd numbers from the TOP)-style. ;) ;) ;) That I find quite pertinent to the unique challenges that these “wonderful beasts” present.

oi, oi, oi!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Looks great, Clorgan.

What kind of “band-aid” are you using?

You managed to salvage some structure in there, MUCH UNlike my own ent😂😂😂

If you get a chance to read my entry.. there’s a whole lot of information people gave me (Patiently...Holding my hand... reminding me to START my letters snd numbers from the TOP)-style. ;) ;) ;) That I find quite pertinent to the unique challenges that these “wonderful beasts” present.

oi, oi, oi!

Eyyy thank you very much! Pretty happy with it actually.

Yeah I was hesitant to do too much, but saw it's pushing leaves so thought it'd be alright.

I'm sure yours will turn out great - like you said I'm sure new growth will appear and it'll be yours from scratch :)

I used vaseline, I've been looking at sealing just now actually and don't think I put enough on, will add more! I don't own cutting paste, but had seen people use vaseline, hopefully that'll be OK!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Eyyy thank you very much! Pretty happy with it actually.

Yeah I was hesitant to do too much, but saw it's pushing leaves so thought it'd be alright.

I'm sure yours will turn out great - like you said I'm sure new growth will appear and it'll be yours from scratch :)

I used vaseline, I've been looking at sealing just now actually and don't think I put enough on, will add more! I don't own cutting paste, but had seen people use vaseline, hopefully that'll be OK!

I have never personally seen vaseline used.. it DOES make sense... it seems like you’d need re-apply more often...

If it works, you simply can NOT beat that price.

:)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I have never personally seen vaseline used.. it DOES make sense... it seems like you’d need re-apply more often...

If it works, you simply can NOT beat that price.

:)

There's a few threads on here, some mixed opinions but I think the general consensus is it should be OK!

We'll soon find out anyway 😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There's a few threads on here, some mixed opinions but I think the general consensus is it should be OK!

We'll soon find out anyway 😂

Interesting!

Add this to the “things I learned today” scrapbook.

😁

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thought I'd give this a go - looks fun!

Azalea santa maria from local garden centre, very cheap (loving all the garden centre reductions right now) and the flowers look lovely 😊

Hard cut done - been wanting to try a mame/shohin so thought this would be a good opportunity! Seen a few people on here have done hard cuts on them recently, so hoping this one will be fine!
Looking good! You have a pot picked out yet?

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nicely done.

Waiting for some kanuma to arrive tomorrow in the mail - then I can get started traumatizing my entry... (Though it looks like it may have a few more blooms to open, so I may wait a while to enjoy them first).

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Nicely done.

Waiting for some kanuma to arrive tomorrow in the mail - then I can get started traumatizing my entry... (Though it looks like it may have a few more blooms to open, so I may wait a while to enjoy them first).

Thanks very much! Can't wait to see your updates 😊

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Weird powdery stuff on trunks/branches - I've read about this being fungus when it's on leaves, haven't seen anything about on trunks though? Not sure how well you can see it in the photos.

Could it be from the vaseline I used to seal the cuts?

Does seem to wipe off, most of it anyway. Had wiped a bit off before I thought to take photos.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200623_212118.jpg
    20200623_212118.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200623_212057.jpg
    20200623_212057.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200623_212037.jpg
    20200623_212037.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 54

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think it is probably just vaseline.

Cut paste is basically clay and oil. A similar product available at most hardware stores is glazier's putty. Glazier's putty is fine clay and linseed oil. Or at least the old fashioned formula is based on that. The modern versions might have preservatives and other plasticizers in there. Basically, a dab of glazier's putty on the end of each cut would be better for sealing and won't melt or run the vaseline does.

Duct seal, for sealing sheet metal air ducts is a similar product, and some here use it as a cut paste. So which ever you have laying around, do you know a handyman that does small fix it jobs, you might get a small amount of either product from them. My grandfather did maintenance in a multi-unit apartment building. He had all that stuff in his tool kit. You don't need much.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I think it is probably just vaseline.

Cut paste is basically clay and oil. A similar product available at most hardware stores is glazier's putty. Glazier's putty is fine clay and linseed oil. Or at least the old fashioned formula is based on that. The modern versions might have preservatives and other plasticizers in there. Basically, a dab of glazier's putty on the end of each cut would be better for sealing and won't melt or run the vaseline does.

Duct seal, for sealing sheet metal air ducts is a similar product, and some here use it as a cut paste. So which ever you have laying around, do you know a handyman that does small fix it jobs, you might get a small amount of either product from them. My grandfather did maintenance in a multi-unit apartment building. He had all that stuff in his tool kit. You don't need much.

Thanks for the info - suspectd it was likely the vaseline, was worth a try! I'm sure we'll have something lying around, thanks again!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Seems to be doing well!

Attached a potential pot too 😊

Unsure about whether to repot? Would need to get suitable soil first. And I'm guessing it'd be a gradual reduction of roots so not into the shohin pot pictured yet?

Attachments

• 20200626_175310.jpg
    20200626_175310.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20200626-175102_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-175102_Chrome.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 50

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seems to be doing well!

Attached a potential pot too 😊

Unsure about whether to repot? Would need to get suitable soil first. And I'm guessing it'd be a gradual reduction of roots so not into the shohin pot pictured yet?
When choosing a pot always remember the colors of the flowers for flowering trees. Flower color has a much affect to the pot as the style of the tree and shape and style of the pot.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
When choosing a pot always remember the colors of the flowers for flowering trees. Flower color has a much affect to the pot as the style of the tree and shape and style of the pot.

Yeah I thought olive and red/orange could look nice? I'm no artist, may well be wrong haha. There's also a brown one in the same style.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah I thought olive and red/orange could look nice? I'm no artist, may well be wrong haha. There's also a brown one in the same style.
If that's what you like go for it! When in doubt google azalea bonsai pics and browse what pots they are in. Of course any pot will work, but you want the tree, flower, style of tree, pot style, color of pot to all compliment each other for the best aesthetic look.

Top Bottom