Close call - Be careful BNutter

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was moving some of my trees around yesterday. I lifted a Shimpaku and found a water moccasin coiled up right behind it. My gloved hands were inches away from the snake. Definitely within striking distance. I don't know if the gloves would have protected me. Nevertheless, the snake is dead and I move on, albeit a little more careful now.

The weather is warmer now and the snakes are more active now. Be careful out there when you work around the trees. Remember the trees are usually in their habitat. I don't like to kill them unless they pose immediate danger to people or pets.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Presently, the horsewhips are after the little lizards.
You take a bamboo rod, get to the snake's centre and flick.
Snake is 50 feet back in the bamboo hedge.

Though not poisonous, the bite requires a tetanus shot.
Mouth of the snake is very dirty.
Lots of lizards running around tailess.
Good Day
Anthony

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Presently, the horsewhips are after the little lizards.
You take a bamboo rod, get to the snake's centre and flick.
Snake is 50 feet back in the bamboo hedge.

Though not poisonous, the bite requires a tetanus shot.
Mouth of the snake is very dirty.
Lots of lizards running around tailess.
Good Day
Anthony
I grew up with the habit of poking into any space with a bamboo or rattan stick and whipping it around before putting my hands in areas I can't see well. I need to start doing it again.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was moving some of my trees around yesterday. I lifted a Shimpaku and found a water moccasin coiled up right behind it. My gloved hands were inches away from the snake. Definitely within striking distance. I don't know if the gloves would have protected me. Nevertheless, the snake is dead and I move on, albeit a little more careful now.

The weather is warmer now and the snakes are more active now. Be careful out there when you work around the trees. Remember the trees are usually in their habitat. I don't like to kill them unless they pose immediate danger to people or pets.
I have BIG black snakes hunting the freaking horde of chipmunks in the neighborhood--chipmunks are the WORST for bonsai. They dig and uproot BIG trees. Every time I see a snake in the backyard, I do a dance of joy cause I know they're hunting those miserable chipmunks. I don't do this for copperheads though. I haven't run across one in years, however. They're the only venomous snake in these parts and not all that dangerous, but who needs a trip to the hospital...

I would not want to run into a moccasin in such close quarters. I'm familiar with them from summers on the Gulf coast. They can be big, pugnacious and belligerent. They don't back down or make much of an effort to get away from you if you run across them. They stand and fight.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
one of them ravaged my lettuce sunday night!! The dangers of using home-made compost!
I am thinking about going to Tractor Supply and and get an electric fence kit for my garden and trash can area The wabbits and coons have gotten way too aggressive.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have BIG black snakes hunting the freaking horde of chipmunks in the neighborhood--chipmunks are the WORST for bonsai. They dig and uproot BIG trees. Every time I see a snake in the backyard, I do a dance of joy cause I know they're hunting those miserable chipmunks. I don't do this for copperheads though. I haven't run across one in years, however. They're the only venomous snake in these parts and not all that dangerous, but who needs a trip to the hospital...

I would not want to run into a moccasin in such close quarters. I'm familiar with them from summers on the Gulf coast. They can be big, pugnacious and belligerent. They don't back down or make much of an effort to get away from you if you run across them. They stand and fight.
And sometimes they even chase you. One big water moccasin chased my lady a few years ago and "accidentally" ran into my shovel. I have to mow my yard very often to keep them at at bay. They love the high grass and the field mice and frogs living in there.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have counted 13 species of snakes in my neighborhood though there are probably more. Quite a few copperheads and a good number of rattlesnakes here as well. Personally I have not had problems with them. Raccoons are very pesky. My motion sensor lights have helped.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Cajunrider you guys have deadly spiders there too? just curious! i'm reading your posts and realizing how you have to develop these habits in your everyday life, to stay alive!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Cajunrider you guys have deadly spiders there too? just curious! i'm reading your posts and realizing how you have to develop these habits in your everyday life, to stay alive!
We have black widows and brown recluse. I hate them. Spiders are hard to kill with insecticides. They won't lick their feet or eat dead insects so the residual insecticides won't get them. Unless you spray directly on them, they don't die.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have counted 13 species of snakes in my neighborhood though there are probably more. Quite a few copperheads and a good number of rattlesnakes here as well. Personally I have not had problems with them. Raccoons are very pesky. My motion sensor lights have helped.
I've had black snakes, hognosed snakes, garter snakes, kingsnakes, a whole list of non-venomous snakes here.

I lived for over 20 years south of you in Waynesboro. Familiar with the timber rattlers around those parts, particularly up in higher levels of the Blue Ridge. Up at elevation, those snakes are all black--to better soak up the warmth on cold spring and fall days.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have black widows and brown recluse. I hate them. Spiders are hard to kill with insecticides. They won't lick their feet or eat dead insects so the residual insecticides won't get them. Unless you spray directly on them, they don't die.
I try to wear work gloves when I'm collecting trees. I got a wake up call when I was digging an old oak clump on a fenceline in East Texas a long while ago. I grabbed a handful of duff near the tree's base. Opened my hand and there was a black widow spider as big as a quarter in my fist and she was PISSED. I clapped my hands hard, quickly. If I'd hadn't had gloves I probably would have lost a few fingers at the hospital.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
By the way, I killed the snake and tossed it in the pond. The gators raced each other for the snakes. Those gators are approaching good eatin' size and can be dangerous to my beagle. I'll have to see about getting the tags to harvest them later this year.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We've got copperheads in my neighborhood, though in 10 years, I've never had one in my yard. Same thing for rat snakes. I've got loads of chipmunks and have put the word out to any acquaintance in the area NOT to kill a rat or king snake, but give me a call instead as I'll gladly re-home them to my place... you can keep the water moccasin, though:oops:.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gators can take care of raccoon problems...;)
By the way, I killed the snake and tossed it in the pond. The gators raced each other for the snakes. Those gators are approaching good eatin' size and can be dangerous to my beagle. I'll have to see about getting the tags to harvest them later this year.[/QUOTE}

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The snakes here are mostly harmless to humans, they do have venom but not of great potency. Saw a small one the other week, no idea where it went to. Hopefully just passing through.
Completely different to the snakes I'm used to where you know that if you see one it has the ability to kill you. Bugs too in Australia are best steered clear of if you don't know what it is and even when you do know.

My wife laughs at me for teaching the kids not to just stick there hands under stuff but she's never had to worry about it where she grew up. Even if Spain has less nasties than other places we still get scorpions, black widows and large centipedes so I'm going to keep teaching a bit of common sense.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is pretty nuts that you were that close to the snake. I don't really get any snakes by me, maybe the occasional garter snake.

I get rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks and they do some damage. Pretty sure it was the rabbits that just ate all the leaves off $200 worth of a variety of new young Ume... Fingers crossed they come back....Each year i get closer and closer to working with solely conifers.

Top Bottom