Clover as a Companion??

Try it?

• Total voters

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all,

On different page I came upon the idea of using clover as a companion plant for bonsai in order to add nitrogen and prevent water loss from inorganic soil in arid climates. I live in Phoenix and was wondering if anyone has tried/has opinion on the subject. From what I have read, a white Dutch clover in moderation may be beneficial if I could ensure no oxalis or grass.

I'd probably try with an Ilex to test but would love to hear thoughts.

Best, Ryan

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't do it because I don't want my surface roots to have any competition. But I don't like in a climate like yours, it may be helpful for you. Why not try chopped sphagnum as a top dressing?

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it because I don't want my surface roots to have any competition. But I don't like in a climate like yours, it may be helpful for you. Why not try chopped sphagnum as a top dressing?
I thought clover may have more benefits as well as allow soil to breathe. I also had a little trouble keeping the moss wet enough to do well (Phoenix problems). I think I will wait till I get my new misting system set up then compare clover vs moss.. appreciate the thoughts

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chopped sphagnum isn't like regular moss, it isn't a green growing moss. It does however suck up a lot of water and holds it for a pretty long time. Keeps the top soil cool, and allows lots of air, as it's not an actual growing plant. If you already know this, then pardon the interruption...;)

It also does make surface roots grow like crazy under there..

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Chopped sphagnum isn't like regular moss, it isn't a green growing moss. It does however suck up a lot of water and holds it for a pretty long time. Keeps the top soil cool, and allows lots of air, as it's not an actual growing plant. If you already know this, then pardon the interruption...;)

It also does make surface roots grow like crazy under there..
Totally did not make that connection haha . Will give sphagnum a try too! Thanks for the help, happy trees

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah clover in the pot with my bonsai? No way. It could take over and impede drainage of the soil, keep the soil too wet, etc.
I spend too much time removing the "vinegar clover" (heart shaped leaves tastes like vinegar) from most of my pots to add more stuff in there to take over.

Now clover as a companion plant in a separate pot for display....sure

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What she said;). But avoid kinds with exploding pods.

Yeah those damn things, the heart shaped leaves ones that taste like vinegar (I remember chewing on them as a kid) have exploding seed pods.
I pick them out of my pots all summer.. I hate that stuff

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't want my surface roots to have any competition

Yup.

If I pull a weed out and it disturbs the soil, even one particle, I curse that weed cuz it was too late!

Love throwing em out to the hot sun!

____

A kept a clover in a pot for a season....

No way I'd want to untangle that mess from a tree.

Sorce

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
o_Oo_OHmmm, could be an interesting way to prepare a pot (soil). When there isn't a tree in them grow clover. then just leave it in the sun and don't water it till they die when you are ready to use the pot

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
o_Oo_OHmmm, could be an interesting way to prepare a pot (soil). When there isn't a tree in them grow clover. then just leave it in the sun and don't water it till they die when you are ready to use the pot
What?
How does that prepare the soil?
I prepare my soil in a tub by mixing a couple ingredients like lave and D.E. together and it's ready to go.
I don't want any organic matter in the pot.
Not dead clover.
Not dead bugs.
Not dead leaves.
The only organic matter in the pot are live roots.

Top Bottom