Club Auction Privet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this tree up at a club auction for just a couple bucks.

I wonder why everyone else passed it up?

Privet Ligustrum x vicaryii shown right after purchase, about 2 feet in height.

Will

Attachments

• PRIVET.jpg
    PRIVET.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 197
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I did.

Here it is after its first rough styling last year, just roughly shaped and the height reduced to 8 inches.

The second pic is after letting it grow out a bit and then cutting back again.

This year I allowed to to grow wild, cutting back only to the silhouette. I think one last styling next year will bring it around, it grows like a weed in this climate. I'll need to tackle the roots, then I will consider another pot, shallower and possibly oval?

Will

Attachments

• privet first styling.jpg
    privet first styling.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 117
  • privet after last styling.jpg
    privet after last styling.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 141
  • privet top.jpg
    privet top.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Easier to see in the first picture, it used to be a live second trunk, I cut off all the branches and forced it to die back. I am not sure about leaving it as a jin, shortening it, or just removing it....

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am not sure about leaving it as a jin, shortening it, or just removing it....

I would remove it. To my eye, it is too far from the nebari to really work as a second trunk. Even if you were to shorten it to a stub it would look like a piece of misplaced deadwood rather than a jin coming from the base of the tree. I would take it out and focus on the single trunk and getting the branches perfectly arrayed to reinforce the lines of the design. That is going to be your challenge - privets throw out a lot of growth so it will be tough to keep a tight design, especially on a smaller tree.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I picked this tree up at a club auction for just a couple bucks.

I wonder why everyone else passed it up?

Privet Ligustrum x vicaryii shown right after purchase, about 2 feet in height.

Will

They passed it up because it sucks. I can't believe someone with your credentials would buy such a thing. You better not tell anyone else or your reputation may be at stake.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They passed it up because it sucks. I can't believe someone with your credentials would buy such a thing. You better not tell anyone else or your reputation may be at stake.

Thank you for that well thought out, intelligent critique.

However, I saw something in this crap, maybe I can bring it out, if not then there is not much lost, if so, there is much gained.

I would much rather tell people I tried, then not to have looked at all, that reputation I can live with.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would remove it. To my eye, it is too far from the nebari to really work as a second trunk. Even if you were to shorten it to a stub it would look like a piece of misplaced deadwood rather than a jin coming from the base of the tree. I would take it out and focus on the single trunk and getting the branches perfectly arrayed to reinforce the lines of the design. That is going to be your challenge - privets throw out a lot of growth so it will be tough to keep a tight design, especially on a smaller tree.

Thanks, I agree, but it is far easier to remove than to replace, lol, hence the hestitation. I am hoping the tree will lose its leaves this winter, they often do not, or at least until late winter here. I have flattened the folaige pads and leveled them since the last picture, and you're right, keeping up on the pinching is almost a daily task. I have however accomplished about a 50% leaf reduction to date.

Will

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well hopefully Mr Quinn won't show that attitude again, or at least not bother to show,definately not needed even if it is a real opinion.

On to better things - looks like it was worth the time and some water Will, bet you learned something about a oft used species for bonsai. May not be a masterpiece at this juncture, but worthy of a few bucks and the joy of time spent.

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Will, I like the one trunk scenario and ditching the excess on the right is proper. Oval seems to be the right choice and in blue for me.

Ash :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rats, for some reason my update pictures are not loading, I'll try again tomorrow, sorry.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, I'd consider cutting the trunk back to near the first branch, bringing the whole thing more upright, lose the dead second trunk, then grow a complete "rest of the tree." There's a lot of character near the base. You can bring the soil up higher to get an immediately nicer nebari.

Privets grow so quickly, you should be able to accomplish this in two or three years.

Best of luck with the project.

Zach

Top Bottom