Clueless about Pomegranate

mycelia01

Seed
Reaction score
Okay, so I was gifted this dwarf pomegranate by my uncle early last year (an extra from his green house). It seems to be a healthy tree, at least it was when I got it. It dropped all its leaves at one point, not sure why. I know they are deciduous but it was a house plant at the time. Inside for the CO winter, I let it grow in full sun outdoors last summer. It has started leafing out again and growing vigorously. I have already trimmed a couple especially lanky branches. No idea how old the tree is. It is growing in a large clay pot in standard potting mix right now since I wanted it to have plenty of room to grow for a while.

How would I best prune to encourage it to bush out and thicken up the trunks? I know it should tolerate a good chopping. I can add a photo later.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Okay, so I was gifted this dwarf pomegranate by my uncle early last year (an extra from his green house). It seems to be a healthy tree, at least it was when I got it. It dropped all its leaves at one point, not sure why. I know they are deciduous but it was a house plant at the time. Inside for the CO winter, I let it grow in full sun outdoors last summer. It has started leafing out again and growing vigorously. I have already trimmed a couple especially lanky branches. No idea how old the tree is. It is growing in a large clay pot in standard potting mix right now since I wanted it to have plenty of room to grow for a while.

How would I best prune to encourage it to bush out and thicken up the trunks? I know it should tolerate a good chopping. I can add a photo later.
They are semi-deciduous... they can choose.. I’ve stressed them to sleep...

Your best pruning “plan of attack” is going to depend on the state of maturity.. as well as the EXISTING Trunkline(s)/branch structure...

So a picture would GREATLY help... don’t want to swap “seedling/sapling advice” with.. or “established tree Care” with Bonsai in refinement Care”.. It will depend on “what’cha got”

🤓

mycelia01

Seed
Reaction score
Some photos. I've been thinking lop the top off, and remove a couple lower branches, shorten the rest. It's a very leggy tree. Also noted: it's a little over 2.5 feet tall.

Last edited:

mycelia01

Seed
Reaction score
Or apparently not. It seems I'm having trouble attaching photos.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pomegranate make a good indoors for winter - outdoors for summer bonsai. Outdoor growth will have shorter, more compact internodes. I kept one for over 30 years this way. Usually after it had been outside for a few weeks I prune it back hard. Then let it grow out for much of the summer, then prune a second time right before the autumnal equinox. Then bring it in for the winter AFTER it has had a light frost or two. Pomegranate are winter hardy to about 25 F. Don't let the roots freeze to temperatures much below 25 F. Allowing the pomegranate to get a frost or two causes it to drop most of its leaves. It then "rests" indoors until late January, then starts spring growth. They light bright light in order to have compact growth.

8-7-2012a (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Top Bottom