Clump Elm

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In this thread I talked about this elm clump I recieved in a raffle. I took the prize due to the amount of soil that was in the container. Since it was ten gallon pot it had about a cubic foot, equivilent to a bag of akadama of lava pumice and cali dama.

On inspection when I got home the clump of elms in the pot was interesting and I decided to try and see what i could do with it. I pruned it back hard and let it grow for a while. This was in July.

Attachments

• DSC_00380029.JPG
    DSC_00380029.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 210

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tonight I cut it back again retaining a few stubs for bending into branches. The fifth trunk was not in a good place , but I have a bud on the clump that is pushing so I will use that shoot for the fith and cut the other one off.

I also cut down the pot so one can see what is going on at the base and how these leave that area. It is a large base with these four shoots coming out of it. there is a large horizontal root that will have to be cut off but that will be done in spring. the roots will be worked and it will probably go into a cut down basket or on a plate to spread the roots further.

The last picture shows the shoot and it is just a pair of leaves right now but it will grow fast next year.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_00030003.JPG
    DSC_00030003.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_00050004.jpg
    DSC_00050004.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 181

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting project.I love the small leaves on elms.I am so happy with them that I may put some one gallon stock in the ground on tiles next year,yatsubusa's.And see what kind of trunks I can create.
Thanks for the elm post.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the last shot. That's an interesting base to work with for sure.

Yes I think so too! Al I'm interested to see where you take this one. I myself may be tempted to create a tiny shohin out of it. I love anything "clump style"!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think so too.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I too agree :)

What type of elm is it? Is it a fast growing variety? I seen the mention of yatsubusa in one of the replies, they grow fast but you cant really wire them, well you can but usually wind up with the wired branch loose in your hand once you bend it. I would love to see what can be done with it, judging by your other trees I bet it will be nice.

ed

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Al,
Do you still have this clump? I'm interested in seeing it's development.

Top Bottom