Clump Elm

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has progressed enough to warrant its own thread. I'm kinda weird that way. I work on them enough so that there is something to show when I do decide to start the thread. This one has been only two years.

It started as a raffle prize at a club meet. No one took it so I picked it up. It was a mess but it did have about ten gallons of calidama in the bucket so the raffle cost covered that, even if the tree was shit...since you couldn't see it.
This clump, and its dismantleing became the subject of the elm root cuttings that I did in the neagari shape. This root ball was huge. It seemed that nothing would be able to tame it. How would this ever fit into a show pot?

001.JPG 002.JPG 003a.JPG 005.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In only two years I have managed to remove the root mass, plant it out in a colander, train the trunks, and this spring it was able to be planted into this Cultural Revolution Chinese Pot. Looking OK so far this summer. Will only get better with age. I tried to get some shots all around the tree. I think I like the second image best.

016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Picture 2 is my pick. I probably like the traditional set up the best.
Nice start :)
Charles

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice elm clump!
Those root cuttings are cool!
That's an interesting pot too, I like it....
Seems like repotting a tree in that pot could be challenging...
It looks very nice though.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That needs a home out East - Nice one Al ;)

Grimmy

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I love the root cuttings you have. I definitely need to try that out some day. You should start a thread on those.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Diamond in the rough

Nice transformation

Reaction score
The second or third pic would be your front based on the width of the nebari, personally the last pic is best as it hides all the ugly cut sites BUT... the biggest problem is the four trunks... let a bud from the bottom go as a depth trunk or somehting but 4?? Just no...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll entertain any intelligent response to four trunks. I've heard them all and I don't buy any of them but maybe someone can convince me what all the hoopla is????

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think that I like number 3 best but number two is a close second. The third photo hides a bit of the knobs better.

Four, who cares if it looks good and you like it.

Good Job!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
4 trunks an even number not done as the book suggests, but still in nature a tree wont care about the rules in the book and grow 4 trunks if it wants to.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a chuckle at the last workshop I was at! A lady told me you can't have 4 trunks because it symbolizes death in Japanese culture. I looked at her and said "good thing I am not showing it in Japan!"

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea just like the ace of spades symbolizes death in Viet Nam. For me it just means a better poker hand!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My buddy Ron purchased a 4-trunk ficus clump from Mary Miller. In a BCI article written in 1996, Mary interviewed John Naka about this clump’s having 4 trunks as breaking the “rules” of bonsai. Naka dismissed it with, “so?”

Ron also hosted a sister-city visitor from Japan, and he walked around the 4-trunk display like it was loaded with adders.
B18F2924-7DB4-4687-B730-F1F4C8395F99.jpeg
For no superstious reason at all, in 1998, we planted a 5th nerifolia into the composition to widen the display. Years later, he was driving his truck down the interstate to participate in a show and his topper ripped loose and took the tops of most of his trees with it. When the 5-tree Group was finally back in show-shape a couple years ago, it took a ribbon at MABA in Chicago.
3781EA58-EC8F-4F72-9AA1-137FA5FF5524.jpeg

Top Bottom