Clump Japanese Maple (2 years)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've been working on a clump Japanese maple planting for the past 2 years. It underwent its first major styling recently. I would appreciate any feedback, especially virts!! I will be keeping progress on my blog so please subscribe if you like my content :D More on my blog:
https://bontsai.com/category/trees/clump-japanese-maple/

Japanese maple group.jpg
20170101_151321.jpg
20170107_104722.jpg

I realize these images are massive but I'm too lazy to resize. If you zoom out its easier on the eyes. Thanks for taking a look.

Julian

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I could make a virtual but I'm to lazy now.
For now you should just make sure that you keep some movement in the trunks. also keep some consistency between the different ranks movement. flow wise I mean.
There should be different trunksizes too, tallest one being the fattest. decide on leader and let that one grow out while keeping the rest more in check.
May need to chop once to induce some taper though. or grow out them lower branches once

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I could make a virtual but I'm to lazy now.
For now you should just make sure that you keep some movement in the trunks. also keep some consistency between the different ranks movement. flow wise I mean.
There should be different trunksizes too, tallest one being the fattest. decide on leader and let that one grow out while keeping the rest more in check.
May need to chop once to induce some taper though. or grow out them lower branches once
I can do that. My only concern is that if I let a trunk run big will I still be able to create a delicate apex in the future? When cutting back maples will they ever back bud in the middle of an internode? Or will buds always come from an internode joint?

Some trunks do exhibit movement but others not so much. I think the trunks are too thick to wire any significant movement. I was under the impression that maples are best grown into shape instead of grow and chop like we do with a lot of deciduous trees. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to maples so any advice is helpful.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As some said, they only bud from nodes, if you have overly long interned especially on your tree you can prune them between 2 nodes and it'll bud at the base of the node you left. This bid should have shorter internodes.
I like this clump a lot!

Aaron

Top Bottom