CLUMP KIYOHIME ON IBIGAWA

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a wonderful piece I picked up from Bjorn last year at the Nationals. It's a bonsai I knew well for many years. When I saw that he had it up for sale, I had to figure a way to get it into my garden. Simply put, I could not pass this one up!

This clump style Kiyohime bonsai has some history behind it. Originally it was a large nursery tree that was acquired by Bjorn and his father Tom back in 2001. Years later, in 2010, the top of it was air layered off to make a clump style bonsai. In 2013 it was then planted on an Ibigawa stone that Bjorn himself hand-carried in the plane on a trip back to the US from Japan. The following year, Tom exhibited this bonsai for the first time at the 4th US National Exhibition. That was the first time I had seen this tree and fell in love with it and its presentation. I anticipated that it would win "best deciduous" award that year. As fate would have it, my Sharp's pygmy Japanese maple took the prize instead, much to my surprise! @Brian Van Fleet can attest to that as he was sitting next to me at the awards banquet.

In 2016, this bonsai once again made its appearance at the Winter Silhouette Expo in Kannapolis, NC. Now seeing the tree for a second time, even more developed, it looked fantastic! Once again, I anticipated it would win either "Best Deciduous" or "Best in Show" that year. Instead, my Japanese beech forest snatched "Best in Show" while Tom's beautiful kiyohime maple got "People's Choice" award. Later, Tom joked with me that I had beaten him twice and he would seek revenge!!

The following year, Bjorn did a series of lecture videos with Bonsai Empire and used this bonsai as part of his curriculum.

Finally, last year, Tom and Bjorn decided to sell this wonderful bonsai. I am excited now to have the tree in my garden and take it forward in the years to come. Last fall, I studied this tree carefully and made some design decisions to take it one step forward while respecting the care and work that went into the creation of this bonsai as we see it today.

Below is the tree as featured in the 4th US National Exhibition catalogue. It had been exhibited in a beautiful copper suiban filled with water that added a peaceful atmosphere to the whole display.

tempImageBs3MzX.png

The bonsai as it appeared at the 2016 Winter Silhouette Expo in Kannapolis, NC. (Low quality photo from the internet)

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 1.27.47 PM.png

The bonsai as it appeared on Bjorn's Bonsai Empire lecture series.

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 6.19.55 PM.jpg

As I studied the tree, one big decision I made in the process was to remove a large branch on the lower right side. It was too straight, with a distracting acute angle that prevented the eye from entering the composition and created a design that was too balanced in my view. The "offending" branch as indicated below was cut off.

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.11.02 AM.jpg

Below is the tree today. Its silhouette will be further refined as I would like to continue extending out some areas. The ramification is extremely fine and delicate with leaves that are also very small and dainty. It was recently partially repotted, taking areas of the old soil out and cutting back some the roots without removing the tree from its rock. It became evident it was deeply rooted by now into the rock and quite difficult to separate. Perhaps I may need to address this in the future. I look forward to continue refining this beautiful Japanese maple specimen.

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0964 a.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is a planting that was burned into my memory when I saw it at the '16' Silhouette show. Truly one of my favorites of any that I've seen in person. Multi-trunked and planted on a fantastic stone placed in a copper water filled suiban... sublime! To see it again at the Nationals last year and to realize you would be its new caretaker was well worth the 40 hours I was stuck in the Tesla with @Adair M! I'm so excited for you and this special tree's future, and I can't wait to see it again!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a planting that was burned into my memory when I saw it at the '16' Silhouette show. Truly one of my favorites of any that I've seen in person. Multi-trunked and planted on a fantastic stone placed in a copper water filled suiban... sublime! To see it again at the Nationals last year and to realize you would be its new caretaker was well worth the 40 hours I was stuck in the Tesla with @Adair M! I'm so excited for you and this special tree's future, and I can't wait to see it again!
Hey, the 40 hours was only the time we spent watching Netflix while the car was charging!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a wonderful piece I picked up from Bjorn last year at the Nationals. It's a bonsai I knew well for many years. When I saw that he had it up for sale, I had to figure a way to get it into my garden. Simply put, I could not pass this one up!

This clump style Kiyohime bonsai has some history behind it. Originally it was a large nursery tree that was acquired by Bjorn and his father Tom back in 2001. Years later, in 2010, the top of it was air layered off to make a clump style bonsai. In 2013 it was then planted on an Ibigawa stone that Bjorn himself hand-carried in the plane on a trip back to the US from Japan. The following year, Tom exhibited this bonsai for the first time at the 4th US National Exhibition. That was the first time I had seen this tree and fell in love with it and its presentation. I anticipated that it would win "best deciduous" award that year. As fate would have it, my Sharp's pygmy Japanese maple took the prize instead, much to my surprise! @Brian Van Fleet can attest to that as he was sitting next to me at the awards banquet.

In 2016, this bonsai once again made its appearance at the Winter Silhouette Expo in Kannapolis, NC. Now seeing the tree for a second time, even more developed, it looked fantastic! Once again, I anticipated it would win either "Best Deciduous" or "Best in Show" that year. Instead, my Japanese beech forest snatched "Best in Show" while Tom's beautiful kiyohime maple got "People's Choice" award. Later, Tom joked with me that I had beaten him twice and he would seek revenge!!

The following year, Bjorn did a series of lecture videos with Bonsai Empire and used this bonsai as part of his curriculum.

Finally, last year, Tom and Bjorn decided to sell this wonderful bonsai. I am excited now to have the tree in my garden and take it forward in the years to come. Last fall, I studied this tree carefully and made some design decisions to take it one step forward while respecting the care and work that went into the creation of this bonsai as we see it today.

Below is the tree as featured in the 4th US National Exhibition catalogue. It had been exhibited in a beautiful copper suiban filled with water that added a peaceful atmosphere to the whole display.

View attachment 421816

The bonsai as it appeared at the 2016 Winter Silhouette Expo in Kannapolis, NC. (Low quality photo from the internet)

View attachment 421820

The bonsai as it appeared on Bjorn's Bonsai Empire lecture series.

View attachment 421824

As I studied the tree, one big decision I made in the process was to remove a large branch on the lower right side. It was too straight, with a distracting acute angle that prevented the eye from entering the composition and created a design that was too balanced in my view. The "offending" branch as indicated below was cut off.

View attachment 421828

Below is the tree today. Its silhouette will be further refined as I would like to continue extending out some areas. The ramification is extremely fine and delicate with leaves that are also very small and dainty. It was recently partially repotted, taking areas of the old soil out and cutting back some the roots without removing the tree from its rock. It became evident it was deeply rooted by now into the rock and quite difficult to separate. Perhaps I may need to address this in the future. I look forward to continue refining this beautiful Japanese maple specimen.

View attachment 421834

View attachment 421836

View attachment 421837

View attachment 421838

View attachment 421839

View attachment 421842
The compaction and change of direction for the upper portion of the lower right branch is a nice change. Compacts and breaks the outline of the branch nicely! Takes the eye back into the design rather than away. Nicely done! Noted the careful wrapping of the wire.
I need to get me some of those side lights.
Thanks for posting the details.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Thanks Dave! Now I need to find an equally nice suiban for it. I may opt for a glazed one this time but we'll see.

Congratulations, that is stunning. I'm just going to go outside and burn everything I have now..........

Don't you dare step one foot out that door missy!! 🙅‍♂️

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Incredible tree, I'm so happy it's in your hands

Looking forward to watching you work with Kiyo Hime, too. This specimen is set up to capture the essence of the cultivar very well!

It's impressive that it went from air layer in 2010 to exhibition in 2014, just 4 years! I would have loved to see it pre-airlayer - great vision!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Incredible tree, I'm so happy it's in your hands

Looking forward to watching you work with Kiyo Hime, too. This specimen is set up to capture the essence of the cultivar very well!

It's impressive that it went from air layer in 2010 to exhibition in 2014, just 4 years! I would have loved to see it pre-airlayer - great vision!

Derek as you well know, you work in reverse with some cultivars like kiyohime. Basally dominant while apices remain weaker. The best approach with kiyohime is to cut and grow. Branches are extremely brittle and will snap without warning! I did wire several branches on this tree but on some I had to be extremely careful as I could not afford to loose them. In this case the less you wire the better.

And yes, like you, I was very impressed that in just a few short years it went from raw to exhibition material! What?? :eek:

BTW, Bjorn has flipped flopped over the years on what the cultivar of this tree is. Last year he had it up for sale as a kashima. He asked Bill and he said it was kiyohime which I agree with. It has all the characteristics of it. But in the end who really knows for sure. This tree originally was an 8' tall landscape tree!

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Wow @MACH5 , when I saw your illustrations for Bonsai Heresy, I thought "Man this guy is talented!" Then I saw your materials in your website "This guy knows what he's doing with deciduous!" Now I see that you've added another treasure to your collection... "I HATE this guy!" 😄

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So is the plan to grab a prize from Tom for the third time, but now with his own tree? 😆 More seriously, I like the extra empty space from removing that right branch. Looking forward to seeing where it goes in the future!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow @MACH5 , when I saw your illustrations for Bonsai Heresy, I thought "Man this guy is talented!" Then I saw your materials in your website "This guy knows what he's doing with deciduous!" Now I see that you've added another treasure to your collection... "I HATE this guy!" 😄

Well thanks! I am happy that I am able to use whatever artistic abilities I may have and put them to some use. I never thought my art and bonsai would ever overlap.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So is the plan to grab a prize from Tom for the third time, but now with his own tree? 😆 More seriously, I like the extra empty space from removing that right branch. Looking forward to seeing where it goes in the future!

Hahaha!! Can you imagine that!? 😂🤣

I think the removal of that branch made the tree a bit less balanced and symmetrical. It made for a more interesting silhouette at least in my view and opened up the tree. The branch as mentioned was also way too straight and your eye immediately went to it. I have no doubt that Bjorn would have addressed this as well.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice addition Sergio! I like that branch removed as the additional space between the rock and the branching is visually pleasing. Sorry I missed you at the club last November!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful tree, I can see why you had to add this to your garden. The compactness of this tree is very appealing. Should be a vision when it breaks bud. Congrats for the acquisition!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice addition Sergio! I like that branch removed as the additional space between the rock and the branching is visually pleasing. Sorry I missed you at the club last November!

Thanks Brian! Yes sorry I missed you last time. I'll be there again in October :)

Top Bottom