CLUMP KIYOHIME ON IBIGAWA

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wonderful tree, I can see why you had to add this to your garden. The compactness of this tree is very appealing. Should be a vision when it breaks bud. Congrats for the acquisition!

Thanks Judy! Well I am such a sucker for clump maples!! 😚

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy! Well I am such a sucker for clump maples!! 😚
As am I of basically any clump style D tree... There is so much more artistry you can apply to clumps, and they just feel more 3d and natural.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kiyo's and Kashima seem to bud out early. Katsura just a bit behind.....Do you find the dwarfs open sooner? Seems a bit soon, looks a treat, though!

70 by Friday. Some repotting needs to be done up here. Not sure the "winter" weather is over with just yet in my area.....:(

Nice!:cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Kiyo's and Kashima seem to bud out early. Katsura just a bit behind.....Do you find the dwarfs open sooner? Seems a bit soon, looks a treat, though!

70 by Friday. Some repotting needs to be done up here. Not sure the "winter" weather is over with just yet in my area.....:(

Nice!:cool:

Yes, I find that to be mostly true with dwarf varieties. My other kiyohime that I’ve had for many years pushes out early no matter what. I am not at all surprised this one is doing the same. These maples definitely pose a challenge specially in colder areas.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking so good! Love this brief stage where you get a touch of silhouette but some leaf color as well!

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a really exquisite tree.

How extensive is the summer maintenance? I know somepeople recommend pinching buds (maybe crushing the internode?) every day to keep short internodes, are you doing this or something similar? It could be a lot of work on a tree like this...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a really exquisite tree.

How extensive is the summer maintenance? I know somepeople recommend pinching buds (maybe crushing the internode?) every day to keep short internodes, are you doing this or something similar? It could be a lot of work on a tree like this...

You can spread the work throughout the growing season. I pinch the strongest shoots as they come out in the spring. The rest I leave until leaves harden off and start cutting back where necessary. Not important to do it all at once but critical that it is done to open up the canopy to prevent interior branches from dying back. One thing to keep in mind with kiyohime is that they are basally dominant. So you must work in reverse to what you are usually accustomed to. Apex weak, lowest branches strong!

Usually I cut back to one node. I also perform partial defoliation. That means one leaf out of each pair I cut off.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Quick update. Cleaned up overly congested areas and now pushing in its usually early fashion. Ready for another growing season!

View attachment 473423

View attachment 473424

View attachment 473425

View attachment 473426

View attachment 473427

Hi Sergio!
It feels Great to see this tree ,beautiful work.
It must be simply stunning in person.

I would like to ask you more information's out of curiosity about the conditions the tree is in as its really an early start!
My fastest maple is my triple trunk Trident that just started pushing here and there.
I'm in Zone 5A but the tree is kept in a controlled environment. Your tree is ahead by a few weeks, which is a lot!
If its a ¨normal¨ habit for this tree in particular as you mentioned above, that is very nice.

That aside, I want to say once again Sergio you do very professional work Bravo, lot of work in a result like this.
Beautiful Tokonoma display with an exceptional tree. The pot is simply beautiful, great idea with the pot form and color choice, the color is also well represented by the pot of the accompany plant.
-Please don't see the following as a offence, my level of work don't allow me to criticize anything you do but I'm trying to understand the thought process and I don't know how else I can ask..-
My question is about the table...
From my amateur eyes everything match perfectly the ¨style¨ of this tree all in feminine curves, combination of abrupt edges and curves everywhere, movement everywhere in the branching, roots, the rock edges, unpredictable, unstable all that on a ¨water pond¨ that beautifully calm all that action by its form and superb color match WOW.
But the table is I wont say an opposite to this composition but a feminine and masculine style fair, square, predictable, stable, ¨formal¨ if I can say it like this.
As I'm trying to learn I would like to ask you if it is done on purpose.
Please keep in mind I don't even own a presentation table myself so I'm am really shy to question the choice!

Thanks
Ugo

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Hugo. Thank you!

In reference to the table, yes I am aware that is not ideal. I would like it to be a bit more delicate and probably curved legs, etc. Even a lighter color perhaps. It was the best "match" I had at this time. Without doubt I will need to get a custom one done for this piece. Ideally the accent pot would be another color as it matches the suiban a bit too much. You want more contrast and varity in your display. Good observations Hugo! ☺️👍

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I swear it looks like the tree just "hatched" from the rock. Wonderful work. Love so much the lightness that opening up the congestion created. My maple hero. 💪👏😁

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Been a while since the last update. Below the maple in mid summer of last year. So dense it has to be thinned out throughout the growing season.

IMG_4166 copy.jpg

Here it is today, February 3 photographed in its new suiban by the very talented @NaoTK. He custom made it for this tree and not surprisingly really beautiful! The care and craftsmanship apparent in this guy's ceramic works is second to none. Thank you Nao!

The tree was lightly wired and cleaned up getting it ready once again for the upcoming growing season. Buds are already swelling which is very common with this cultivar.

IMG_5253 copy.jpg

IMG_5223 copy.jpg

IMG_5217 copy.jpg

IMG_5222 copy.jpg

And now time to play with sand and colorful buckets!

IMG_2823 copy.jpg

In order to add a bit of atmosphere to the composition, I thought going the extra step and made circular impressions in the sand to evoke water ripples or gentle rain. I think I will play more with this idea in the future.

IMG_5247 copy.jpg

IMG_5240 copy.jpg

IMG_5267 copy.jpg

IMG_5245 copy.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Been a while since the last update. Below the maple in mid summer of last year. So dense it has to be thinned out throughout the growing season.

View attachment 527135

Here it is today, February 3 photographed in its new suiban by the very talented @NaoTK. He custom made it for this tree and not surprisingly really beautiful! The care and craftsmanship apparent in this guy's ceramic works is second to none. Thank you Nao!

The tree was lightly wired and cleaned up getting it ready once again for the upcoming growing season. Buds are already swelling which is very common with this cultivar.

View attachment 527137

View attachment 527138

View attachment 527139

View attachment 527140

And now time to play with sand and colorful buckets!

View attachment 527147

In order to add a bit of atmosphere to the composition, I thought going the extra step and made circular impressions in the sand to evoke water ripples or gentle rain. I think I will play more with this idea in the future.

View attachment 527149

View attachment 527151

View attachment 527150

View attachment 527152
Very nice

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What does "repotting" look like on a tree like this? I imagine the marriage of tree & container here is relatively permanent, but I'm curious what maintenance needs to be done to the roots/soil.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What does "repotting" look like on a tree like this? I imagine the marriage of tree & container here is relatively permanent, but I'm curious what maintenance needs to be done to the roots/soil.

Yes, you are correct! At this point not advisable to try and separate the tree from the stone. It will most likely result in more harm than good. So... what I have done is dig out pockets of soil around the tree and replace it with new.

Top Bottom