clump Quince

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a fun quince I got from Owen last year, it's chaenomeles Utamaro. It's an exposed root clump, I've got sphag. moss on the outsides to encourage a couple more to fill in the outer areas. These are so fast, and seem to love it here. 1st pic from last season, then this year after cutbacks and wire. P1020358.jpgP1020731.jpgP1020732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's a fun quince

Cool! All Quince are fun! My growing method is different then many adhere to but produces zero internode plants. Funny part is I just do it different, nothing special, and most feel it is the plant itself and the "cutting" requests grow, and grow...

That is a nice plant from Owen! Thank you for sharing as mine are all covered in snow and it reminds me there is LIFE! :)

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool! All Quince are fun! My growing method is different then many adhere to but produces zero internode plants. Funny part is I just do it different, nothing special, and most feel it is the plant itself and the "cutting" requests grow, and grow...

That is a nice plant from Owen! Thank you for sharing as mine are all covered in snow and it reminds me there is LIFE! :)

Grimmy
Owen has some nice trees most of the time. It’s like his van is the candy wagon,LOL. I got that cute little apple from him and also a really good elaeagnus on the way.

What do you mean by zero internodes? Just really tight? Yes my greenhouse is my sanity!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What do you mean by zero internodes? Just really tight? Yes my greenhouse is my sanity!

Yes indeed on the Zero Internode question. I have been growing potted Quince for several years now and have a fairly good "grip" on not having a plant that looks like a shrub instead of a lanky plant after those great blooms. Need to add - so far I have not found any variety I cannot achieve the same with, much more pleasant to look at all Summer here :) This one is a Toyo No Shiki but so far they all act the same, nothing huge, just based on several years of observation and experimentation. To trim it I need to take off a minimum off 30 percent of the foliage to find what needs cut for ramification...

IMG_1308.JPG

Grimmy

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Japanese or Chinese? Is one species better than the other? Not that familiar with either except the stuff you see blooming right now in yards down here.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes indeed on the Zero Internode question. I have been growing potted Quince for several years now and have a fairly good "grip" on not having a plant that looks like a shrub instead of a lanky plant after those great blooms. Need to add - so far I have not found any variety I cannot achieve the same with, much more pleasant to look at all Summer here :) This one is a Toyo No Shiki but so far they all act the same, nothing huge, just based on several years of observation and experimentation. To trim it I need to take off a minimum off 30 percent of the foliage to find what needs cut for ramification...

View attachment 183238

Grimmy
Freakishly tight growth from trunk to tips.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Japanese or Chinese? Is one species better than the other? Not that familiar with either except the stuff you see blooming right now in yards down here.
This one is Japanese quince Utamaro.
Don't know what the one that Grimlore is showing us is, but it's probably Japanese too. Chinese quince look quite different in leaf and twig.
@GrimLore I don't know that I'd want the internodes quite that tight, I like them when they look more like trees than shrubs- for bonsai use anyway! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This one is Japanese quince Utamaro.
Don't know what the one that Grimlore is showing us is, but it's probably Japanese too. Chinese quince look quite different in leaf and twig.
@GrimLore I don't know that I'd want the internodes quite that tight, I like them when they look more like trees than shrubs- for bonsai use anyway! ;)

Judy it is a Toyo No Shiki and Japanese. That one started out as a very leggy straight upward growth of 5 branches and several long suckers. Looked bad and had sparse foliage. I removed the suckers, cut the 5 branches back a couple of times and it now has over 24 branches and branch-lets without grafting. I have taken off anywhere between 30 and 70 percent of the leaf a few times during growing season here and it just keeps getting more robust :p I started the same growing routine I use on a few other varieties and expect them to act similar in 2 short seasons. In the past before the calamity all of mine Japanese or Chinese had the same growth, rather freakish. Any Cotoneaster we ever had past and present do the same and require weekly hours to control. Funny you mention twig - I can't see any unless I do a some serious defoliation. In another season or two I will have enough ramification and when defoliated properly they will look good :)

Freakishly tight growth from trunk to tips.

I found that using an organic free draining mix works best when growing and training. Actually old publications often suggest the same for Quince in pots refined... I have mentioned in the past I also don't let Quince get more then 2 hours of Eastern sun daily AND never exposure to rain or watering of foliage. Here, that water on the foliage causes a lot of leaf drop and honest I would rather defoliate as I see fit rather then let nature run the show.

Grimmy

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Owen has some nice trees most of the time. It’s like his van is the candy wagon,LOL. I got that cute little apple from him and also a really good elaeagnus on the way.

People often ask why I don't sell many trees online; I'd much rather sell something I thought was good to a person I work with.
Here's a fun quince I got from Owen last year, it's chaenomeles Utamaro. It's an exposed root clump, I've got sphag. moss on the outsides to encourage a couple more to fill in the outer areas. These are so fast, and seem to love it here. 1st pic from last season, then this year after cutbacks and wire. View attachment 183226View attachment 183227View attachment 183228

That one will be great in a few years. The apple even better.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
People often ask why I don't sell many trees online; I'd much rather sell something I thought was good to a person I work with.
lucky me!
I so enjoy our study groups. Interesting material and good solid knowledge- disseminated by someone who knows how to teach- is not so easy to find.
That one will be great in a few years. The apple even better.
Yeah that apple is kinda the bomb. I'm super happy with it, I did some minor trimming of strong branches.

Top Bottom