Clumpy Callistemon

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I have some unfinished business after killing off my last couple of Callistemon, it was a bit disheartening but at least I know what not to pour on them now.
Anyway found one hiding in the back of a nursery yesterday and figured it was time to jump back in on one.

It was quite leggy but really only interested in the trunks anyway.

IMG_20170930_123425174.jpg
The main trunk has a nice flare at the base....
IMG_20171001_120618422.jpg

The clump is interesting too...
IMG_20171001_120625351.jpg

Going to need this to bud out though, it shouldn't be a problem. I probably left more than I needed to on it but lets just call them "options".

Next spring/summer I will attack the roots, put it in a smaller grow pot and make some more decisions on what goes and what stays.
IMG_20171001_120654208.jpg
Looking forward to this one.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I have some unfinished business after killing off my last couple of Callistemon, it was a bit disheartening but at least I know what not to pour on them now.
Will you tell us more? Having one that is just surviving I'd like to hear more about them.
BTW, nice find. Looking forward to updates.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My mistake was assuming the product I had was similar to one called "Seasol", which is a weak seaweed revitaliser. I assumed I had the Spanish equivalent. Turns out it was like 3000 times more potent than what seasol is and almost certainly one should not be using it in a similar fashion. It cooked all my Aussie natives except the 3 Eucalyptus I didn't use it on. Live and learn I suppose but it was a bit of a shocker at the time.

Aside from that they are a fairly tough tree, the only other issue I have had with them is when they dry out as they don't like that at all but even then they can, will and do bounce back.
When you say just surviving what is up with it? How do you overwinter it?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My mistake was assuming the product I had was similar to one called "Seasol", which is a weak seaweed revitaliser. I assumed I had the Spanish equivalent. Turns out it was like 3000 times more potent than what seasol is and almost certainly one should not be using it in a similar fashion. It cooked all my Aussie natives except the 3 Eucalyptus I didn't use it on. Live and learn I suppose but it was a bit of a shocker at the time.

Aside from that they are a fairly tough tree, the only other issue I have had with them is when they dry out as they don't like that at all but even then they can, will and do bounce back.
When you say just surviving what is up with it? How do you overwinter it?
Thanks, well my "tree" consists of two trees potted close each other, one's quite good and the second barely survives. BareIy survives...means I'm losing branch after branch. From the stronger tree I receive 15-20 cm of new growth in a year if not pruned. Overwintering in a cold room, watered once-twice a week in winter.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hmm, tough to really say but branch die back would suggest something is up with the roots. Are they in the same pot? Is it nursery or bonsai soil?
If so then maybe the weaker tree is being taken over a bit?

You could try a repot if it wont disturb the healthy one, I don't know really.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for response. They were bought few years ago growing together in one pot. Repotted two years ago into inorganic soil, the trunks were repositioned, the roots looked developed equally. When it started making problems, I tried to work the soil better in root mass guessing it was possible problem, but doesn't look like it was... Now it will go dormant in few weeks, I'll not touch it and see what happens in spring.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, well my "tree" consists of two trees potted close each other, one's quite good and the second barely survives. BareIy survives...means I'm losing branch after branch. From the stronger tree I receive 15-20 cm of new growth in a year if not pruned. Overwintering in a cold room, watered once-twice a week in winter.

Maybe worthwhile trying to regulate the growth.By keeping the Strong trees branches short with pruning and allowing the weaker tree possibly to take advantage of any redirection of energy.Allowing the weaker tree to grow long shoots hence allowing root growth to be enhanced.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe worthwhile trying to regulate the growth.By keeping the Strong trees branches short with pruning and allowing the weaker tree possibly to take advantage of any redirection of energy.Allowing the weaker tree to grow long shoots hence allowing root growth to be enhanced.
Thanks, Craig. Definitely way to go next season. Good point.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, Craig. Definitely way to go next season. Good point.
That's fine ,anytime.
One other thing that seriously works for Aus natives is sitting them on a shallow tray of gravel water.This allows moisture under the root zone.The new developing roots are drawn down through the pot into the gravel beneath.This allows roots spread through the pot and out the bottom alot quicker than normal. Once the roots are out bottom I am sure the trees will be alot healthier, with the abundance of roots the trees can be up potted with substantially better root system.When tree has found health the gravel tray should be not needed again.See how u go.DSC07985.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well a year on and still alive so that is a plus. I had to do an emergency repot over winter with this one as the nursery soil was staying far too wet and it was going downhill fast. Winter is probably not the best time for it but it pulled through with minimal dieback, I cut a fair chunk of roots too.

It exploded with buds and clusters so today thought I'd thin it out a bit. I think it's finally on it's way now.
IMG_20181021_152011849.jpg

May as well chuck this one in here too, not a callisthenics though it's Acacia dealbata. Odd little thing with funky roots, was thinking of trying ror but kind of has a negative thing happening. Hopefully it pulls through, figured it would be best to get it out of the nursery soil before winter this time and it all practically fell off bare rooting it. These are tough though so fingers crossed.

IMG_20181021_152056016.jpgIMG_20181021_144831558.jpgIMG_20181021_152102644.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_152105708.jpg
    IMG_20181021_152105708.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 0

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice projects.

my personal tastes would be to separate the two Callistemon and grow them out separately. I'd do it sooner than later, at the appropriate time for repotting in your climate.

Can't say I love the acacia exposed roots. I would remove the largest ones, the wild one that is an arching out stilt root. Cut it off and replant it in a separate pot, see if it responds as a root cutting. New vegetative buds should sprout on the end of the root exposed to full sun.

But both species should have interesting flowers, I like many of the Australian natives for flowering bonsai

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cheers Leo,
There are actually 4 Callistemon in there although one is dead so 3 separate trees. At first I thought they may be one but from my poking and prying they should be straight forward enough to separate. I'll have to see how it all travels and make a decision on the repot next year, I was planning on leaving it a season but it may be better to get it out of the way.

The Acacia is an odd one, I had no idea the roots would be the way they are, hopefully the better soil will encourage more fine roots and then I can be more confident in attacking it next time, it seems to of handled the initial repot well but I don't think it will flower next spring, I have another that I'm training/growing out which is loaded with flower buds.

Hopefully I'll get some Callistemon flowers too, even while they are growing out they still look great in flower.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
OK so an update, the acacia is dead so we can scrap that but the Callies are alive and well.

I did end up separating them as when spring arrived I noticed the roots overflowing the pot so they needed a bit of space. The trees were the one plant connected by a thick, hard root below the soil line. This will need to be better addressed at next repot but so be it. Also I probably should of made up some shallower but wider grow boxes, again I will fix that next repot too.

For now I'm going to wait until the flowers are spent and the dead head them before they put too much energy into going to seed and at the same time take off the growth I don't want and add a touch of wire for shape.
No real plans for cutting them back much more, just going to work with what is there and building some shape and canopy.

IMG_5705dd.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Callistemon looking healthy in Spain (or France now?)
The tree in the orange pot has much better trunk and base. I think it has real potential. Don't be afraid to prune back quite hard after flowering. I would be very surprised if you don't get more buds along the older trunk after pruning. That lower shoot might very well be the future tree if you can wait long enough to develop an entire tree from it but other forms will also be possible. I wait to see what you come up with.
Can't see much potential in the other trunk but maybe something will emerge and it will also be useful for experimental work.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Callistemon looking healthy in Spain (or France now?)
The tree in the orange pot has much better trunk and base. I think it has real potential. Don't be afraid to prune back quite hard after flowering. I would be very surprised if you don't get more buds along the older trunk after pruning. That lower shoot might very well be the future tree if you can wait long enough to develop an entire tree from it but other forms will also be possible. I wait to see what you come up with.
Can't see much potential in the other trunk but maybe something will emerge and it will also be useful for experimental work.

Spain, decided it was too much hassle to move to France for a few years and then up and move again back to Oz so figured we are better off here building towards that move.
I agree with your assesment though, the tree on the right is the goodun. For now I'm happy to keep it as is but that lower shoot came up after repotting so I'll see what emerges after cutting back. The one on the left isn't that interesting so I may cut that back harder and try to get some movement lower down.

Top Bottom